News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle transmission noise

Started by 37 lasalle, July 10, 2013, 02:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

37 lasalle

Back in Dec. I posted a question about a  noise in my transmission. The gears clatter in neutral and in gear. I pulled the transmission and removed the bottom cover .The gears clatter in normal rotation but are quiet when rotated backwards. I removed the cluster gears and the noise is gone. The gears are in good shape except for wear on the edges where they mesh. The thrust washers look home made.Could they be causing the gears not to mesh right? They do take up all the gap when installed. Are these transmissions  normally noisy? Any ideas or help finding someone who works on these older transmissions would really help. Mike Robinson  CLC 27588

markl

Mike,
I'm surprised no one has suggested Tom King of the King Co.  His area code would indicate that he is located in New Jersey.  Looking at the Email address listed in previous posts [TheKingCO1947@aol.com], I get nothing so perhaps he is no longer in business.  But you might try calling the phone number which was also listed, 609-397-0161.  He makes (made?) some replacement parts and evidently a conversion kit for side shifter to top mounted shifters. 

I realize that his location in New Jersey and you being in California it is too far away to be practical for him to inspect your tranny.  But if you can get in contact w/ him, you may be able to get enough guidance over the phone or via Email to solve your problem.  Let the rest of us know what you come up with.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

37 lasalle

I called Tom at the King Co.and he was very helpful . He told me how to get the main pilot shaft bearing out to replace it. he also said that the cluster shaft thrust washers are missing there tabs to hold them in place and  keep them from spinning. He is also going to send me a gasket set. My transmission is missing many of the gaskets and was leaking .Thank you for the  lead on Tom . clc 27588 Mike Robinson