News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 electric choke connector part number

Started by Matt 12861, July 10, 2013, 07:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt 12861

I just got a rebuilt carb for my '79.  the old electric choke wire had a ring terminal attached with a screw.  This choke has a weird "L" shape terminal.  After looking around, it looks like it could take a Dorman 85113  OR a 84739, however when I put the make/year of the car in (79 Deville), it says it won't work.  Is the choke configured for some other car that used the Quadrajet?  Does anyone have the number or any advice?
Thanks,
Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861

R Schroeder

Matt
My 78 has a flat terminal on the choke.
I'm sure if you go to NAPA they will have a connector that will work on your choke.
Sounds like someone changed the end on the wire to work on the previous carb.
I'll see if there is a part number for the choke, if my book shows it.
Roy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok the 79 carb has the following choke number , or part number. I don't think you will find it on the choke cover though.

C body , or coupe is 17062081
D,and Z body , or 4 door and Eldorado is 17061327

Again, take the cover to NAPA, and I'm sure they will have a connector for it.

No part number for the wire end in my book.

Matt 12861

thanks for the numbers, I will check them out. you're right, no number on the choke, but here is a photo
Matt Givler #12861

R Schroeder

That is the same set up that I have. Didn't realize it had the little bend in it.
NAPA should have something .
Roy

afaia1978

Quote from: Matt 12861 on July 10, 2013, 07:49:45 PM
I just got a rebuilt carb for my '79.  the old electric choke wire had a ring terminal attached with a screw.  This choke has a weird "L" shape terminal.  After looking around, it looks like it could take a Dorman 85113  OR a 84739, however when I put the make/year of the car in (79 Deville), it says it won't work.  Is the choke configured for some other car that used the Quadrajet?  Does anyone have the number or any advice?
Thanks,
Matt Givler
Did you ever figure out if the Dorman 85113 or Dorman 84739  electric choke connector's are correct for your '79 Deville?  I have a '79 Deville also and I need that connector but I want to make sure I have the correct part number before ordering one. 

TJ Hopland

Looking at the photos of both parts I would guess the 84739.   They both appear to fit the same blade but the 85113 has a bigger nub / key on the body part sticking out to the left if you were facing the side of the choke.   It does not look like that nub would hit anything on that choke in the photo but it looks like the 84739 would plug in to a choke designed to have the key so it would likely fit more options.

Oddly neither of those part number cross to anything on Napa's site, they usually seem to have all the Dorman stuff under their own brand name Balkamp and their own part numbers.    Plenty of other vendors online showing them so they still seem to be a current part.

I remember the connector being gray on the computer control cars which is the color of the one with the extra key.   That would make sense that they had to add that key on the later cars because there were more terminals on those for various things and they were probably trying to make em all different so you could not plug them in the wrong spots.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason