News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac help

Started by redsails, July 10, 2013, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsails

Hey guys,

New member here. I am currently looking at a 1957 Cadillac. I've been in love with the '57 for many years, but am no expert. The inspection I ordered for the car noted that the turn signals, radio, antenna and horn were not working. Obviously some electrical issues. Is this a major red flag or could it be something fairly simple?

I can provide the full inspection report if anyone would care to look it over. I'm really trying to find some second opinions about this car before I make a final decision.

Thanks,
B. Crawford

J. Gomez

Congrats on your option..!

Electrical problems you’ve described can be as simple as a bad ground, open fuse to a more complicated repairs i.e. rewiring, antenna motor, etc, etc.

The more important is the overall condition of the car body, engine, drive train, brakes, etc, etc. Problems on these areas could be a big hit on your pocket book.  However if you are mechanically inclined everything is possible, and you are at the right place in case you get in a tangled.

Good luck…!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello B. Crawford,
     You picked a great car to love .  The issues you mentioned in my opinion are very minor . When purchasing an car that is some 56 years old you will have what i call normal conditions . If you are somewhat handy mechanically and have just basic common sense you should be able to correct those problems rather simply . sometimes as simple as a fuse or a dirty connection .  I must worn you if should be so lucky to find someone that is willing to work on your car it can be very costly . I suggest try to fix yourself .  Buy a 1957 Cadillac Repair manuel . It is what i call a bonding period with your car . You need to understand your car and know what makes it tic .   I can only speak for myself but i think most people will agree that those problems that you mentioned  .  Very similar problems come with these old cars . Once you bond with your car ( by that i mean getting all the little bugs worked out )  they  need constant care .  This is the fun of owning a 56 year old car . when the car runs good and all the or most of the accessories   work the way they should you become part of the car , it is a wonderful feeling .  You need this car as much as it needs you .  Remember this is not a new car . i will need constant attention .    and you can always count on this club to help you out and steer you in the right direction .   Good Luck ,I love my 57 Cadillac 

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

redsails

Thanks for the replies, I'm learning already. So glad I found this site.

The engine, brakes, transmission seem to be in good order according to the report. A small coolant leak found. The car definitely isn't perfect, but I am only looking for a driver anyway.

Here is a link to the full report - again I'd love some second opinions:

http://docs.roadreadycertified.com/reports/RRC-tzc6d/RRC-tzc6d.pdf

I do know this car is NOT a coupe deville as stated. She is missing the fin crests and the front fender script (hence the holes mentioned). Obviously a redone interior, but I can live with that (black on black is what I was looking for!). Some pitted chrome and tail light lenses need replaced, etc.

B. Crawford 

David King (kz78hy)

The color of that car would have been nice.

Very dark blue w/a white roof.

I don't know the trim codes as well as the paint codes.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter