News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 windshield washer repair

Started by Charlie CLC#18187, July 14, 2013, 03:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie CLC#18187

This is a photo of a plunger-type part in the washer pump.  It has a small spring on one end that appears to be broken.  Anyone know what this spring should look like- i.e., how long is it? Does anything attach to the other end of this spring? 

Trying to get the pump working....

Thanks a lot,
Charlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

J. Gomez

Charlie,

The length of that spring is about 1 ¼”, it’s used to close the vacuum inside the chamber via a small rubber washer at the pump. If you looked inside the cylinder attached to the pump/lid you will see it.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Charlie CLC#18187

Jose- I see that rubber disk at the top of the cylinder it is attached to a spring-loaded shaft.  The disk has three small oval openings in it.  Does that sound right? 

thanks again,
CHarlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

J. Gomez

Charlie,

That's the one..!  ;)

The rubber washer has three tiny holes that keep the vacuum pressure in the round canister keeping the large spring compressed. Once you block to vacuum (pressing the bottom to squirt the water) the large spring forces the second clear plunger down to force the water out the bottom.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Walter Youshock

The pump rebuild kits come with that spring.  I just rebuilt my '57 washers which, until two years ago, worked flawlessly on the original parts.  Now my problem seems to be the dash control. 

Like everything on these cars--great when they work but a total PITA to keep them working.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham