News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 Cadillac climate control wiring harness/issues

Started by Scot Minesinger, July 14, 2013, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1975 Cadillac deVille climate control.  Cannot get the car to work on anything but high a/c in the auto mode.

I have restored three 1970's, a 1975, a 1966 and a 1967 climate controls where most components were replaced and the controls were repaired from molestation in the past.  Cadillac Tim and I talk frequently.  This is not my first rodeo.  This one has me stumped.

The a/c works nice.
When you disconnect ambient sensor the system will not go into heat.
The programmer was just re-built and checked to be sure it is working
The dash unit was just re-built and checked to be sure it is working
The programmer is grounded, receiving 12Vdc power, and vacuum
The sensor wires at harness read 190ohms or within range when ambient sensor is re-connected (not shorted out)
Added ground wire with splice on black to frame with a #10Cu.

The only thing that makes sense is although I have re-crimped the female wiring harness connectors, the contact with male programmer connectors is not making a good connection.  On the other 1975 Cadillac re-crimping did the trick.  The contacts are unusual.  Does anyone know where to get a new set or something that could join each of the six wires to the male programmer connectors?

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillactim

Tim Groves

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Does the system cycle from floor to dash with a "scroll" of the temperature dial, and are all the vacuum lines in the programmer connected correctly?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

The air only comes out the dash.  Vacuum lines are on programmer correctly, not sure what you mean, the harness only goes on one way?

Another possibility I did not consider is, I start the car up (the fan delay for heat is grounded, hate that delay) and air comes out of top vents cold (engine is cold too, just expecting air out of floor vents).  Perhaps the heat is on and air is not hot but what is wrong is actuator that switches the dash to floor vents is bad or otherwise compromised - will check that out.  Tim sent me some good techniques to trouble shoot.

Thanks,

Scot

Scott,
There are a couple of vacuum lines "inside" the programmer hooking up the power servo and the other vacuum devices within the programmer itself. 
Would you like to share what suggestions Tim has offered?
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Tim rebuilt and checked the programmer so I know that is good.  Plus you know how it is everyone always blames the "black box/programmer/computer" and often that is not it.  Tim has suggested that we need to be certain the wiring harness delivers power to the programmer, and suspects the sensor string is malfunctioning. 

Weird mid fix story:  Original post was that the heat would not come on.  There is a slow leak in the refrigeration system I need to find, so I unplugged the compressor clutch.  I need to leave town for two weeks (attending GN) and so customer has agreed to store car for two weeks and bring it back to finish up on August 10th.  Drove it to customer and had windows down, climate control off today.  Get there and customer turns on climate control and heat comes on (blowing out of dash vents only, not out of floor vents) and nothing but heat no matter what when put on any setting -vent, auto etc.  Maybe the hot water heater valve control valve was stuck? 

If I have to replace every component on the car I will get the climate control 100%.  When I do will post what the problem was.  Look for my resolution post mid August.    Since the air will not come out of the bottom vents for anything, I will start there looking at actuator - linkage and etc. (making sure it works when vacuum is applied, and then checking to be sure correct vacuum signal is received).

Will make another post on where is the common leak point on these cars for a/c.

Have found some difficult problems in the past: screw thru sensor wire in removing and reinstalling dash on a 1966, bad wiring harness connection of ground to programmer (re-crimped female connector to fix) on a 1975, so will get it if it is the last thing I do.

Thanks and if you think of anything between now and August 10th, be pleased to read it.  Hope to see you at GN

Scot 

Scott,
Look forward to seeing you (and everyone else) at Quincy.  What I meant about the vacuum lines in the programmer is that there are several and if the programmer is jostled during shipment and/or installation, they can come loose.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Yes I will check to make sure all vacuum lines are connected properly inside programmer.

I will be there arrive at GN in my 1970 Cadillac either Thursday or Friday, have not decided, probably Thursday.

Are you driving or flying?

Going to fly to this one Scott.  Drove to Fla Last year and enjoyed it, but don't have the time in this year's schedule.  We will be getting into Quincy on Tuesday.  I am honored to have been asked to give a seminar on "Basic AC"  Wednesday and on advanced AC Friday. We have a commitment back home on the following Monday
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Scott,
They have it scheduled fo2:30 PM.  Hope to see you there.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger