News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Tail light question

Started by Bill Caddyshack, July 15, 2013, 12:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

My parking lights work. My blinkers on both sides work, but the Passenger side brake light does not work.

Someone said I may have a bad relay somewhere. Any ideas appreciated.

Bill

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Bill Caddyshack on July 15, 2013, 12:01:36 PM
My parking lights work. My blinkers on both sides work, but the Passenger side brake light does not work.

Someone said I may have a bad relay somewhere. Any ideas appreciated.

Bill

Sounds like wiring issue or possible faulty brake light switch??
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

curly

There is no relay on a 59 Cad brake light system.
The brake light wiring passes through the turn signal switch.  When I was having issues with my rear lights, I took the T/S switch apart and lightly filed the contacts. I packed it with di-lectric grease tp help prevent corrosion.  It fixed my problem.

T Lewis

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: curly on July 15, 2013, 02:54:19 PM
There is no relay on a 59 Cad brake light system.
The brake light wiring passes through the turn signal switch.  When I was having issues with my rear lights, I took the T/S switch apart and lightly filed the contacts. I packed it with di-lectric grease tp help prevent corrosion.  It fixed my problem.

T Lewis

Thank you, Curly. How do I get to the contacts? Do I pull the steering wheel? Bill

I like the dielectric grease. It helps in many areas. Tail light bulbs, especially.

curly

Yes, you have to pull the wheel to access the switch.  I took mine completely out of the steering wheel hub which was a PIA because the connector is almost exactly the same size as the hole for it. You just have to have patience and work at it. 
The horn wire will be in the way of the steering wheel  puller, so I loosened the steering nut but left it on, placed a socket over the shaft, resting on the nut. I then used the puller to push against the socket.  Hope that is clear, I don't have any pics.

TLewis

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: curly on July 16, 2013, 01:04:59 AM
Yes, you have to pull the wheel to access the switch.  I took mine completely out of the steering wheel hub which was a PIA because the connector is almost exactly the same size as the hole for it. You just have to have patience and work at it. 
The horn wire will be in the way of the steering wheel  puller, so I loosened the steering nut but left it on, placed a socket over the shaft, resting on the nut. I then used the puller to push against the socket.  Hope that is clear, I don't have any pics.

TLewis

Thank, I think I got it. Bill

curly

Bill,
Before you pull the Steering wheel, unplug the T/S connector at the base of the column and use bullet connectors and some wire to jump from the brake light power wire to the brake light wires. This bypasses the T/S switch completely and will tell you if the problem is in the switch or somewhere else.

T Lewis