News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Feeling pretty dumb right now......

Started by Jeff Wilk, July 15, 2013, 07:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

:-X

Ok.....true confessions.....i could mot get the tri power air cleaner on since the three carb to air cleaner studs were not lining up.......so what else would a frustrated restoration hobbyist do after just blowing out a muffler from a backfire cause my distributor was put in wrong....by me????   Hit the carb stud with a hammer of course to only slightly bend it right?!!!

The picture below tells the rest......i cracked the thin support arm that runs up to the stud!!!!

Now what????  JB Weld?   Back to the carb guy to weld?   New carb?  Good luck there......
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

Jeff,

Obviously a hammer was not the right choice in tools here...

I have some spare carbs.  I might sell you one that's not quite right to use on the car, but you can use the top piece.  Actually the center one holds down the lid so it needs to be right.  Epoxy or JB Weld may hold it.

Email me.

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Gene Beaird

That _should_ be able to be TIG-welded.  It is probably a cheaper alloy aluminum than they use for heads and such, but welding aluminum heads is a common practice.  Someone skilled in welding aluminum heads should be able to weld that up.

I'm leery of JB-weld or epoxy.  Those parts, even if soaked and cleaned, will have some oils and gasoline residues in the metal.  adhesives may not last long, and flake off, and down into the engine over time.  I'd consider that a last-ditch option. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

76eldo

Unless the tri-power center carb top is Waaay different from other 2GC's it's not worth the time or expense to weld it.

I have two complete tripower setups (for sale) and I think the center carbs are incorrect as far as the linkage hook up, but I will look at the center carb upper area to see if it's the same as the one that came off of my car.

When I needed to have my center carb rebuilt I bought a nice core (at a high price) but it was correct and complete.  So the one that was on my car is now a spare and I can compare the tops to see if I can help Jeff.

I'm gonna tax him for striking the carb stud with a hammer though... >:D

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

INTMD8

May be able to weld that but I think it could be tough. Things like cyl heads are no problem but sometimes carburetor parts and other smaller castings have enough impurities so they don't weld clean no matter how well you prep them.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be inclined to leave it as it is, and simply not tighten the attaching nut too tight.

Don't forget that there are two other good mounting points, unless you have attacked those as well. ;)

Bruce.

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

G'day Jeff, I am certain that the top of 2gc s are repopped. I had a quick look on ebay and couldn't find one but it is a common break point. Someone was listing them a little while ago. I'll keep an eye open. Q 
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz