News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

12 cars that define Cadillac .... no respect for the 59 Biarritz

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, July 16, 2013, 02:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

I started reading this article and I must say I agree with most of the top  picks and most of the bottom picks . I have owned Cadillac's of the 50's 60's 70's and 80's presently my 2009 CTS  and 57 Biarritz .   This article totally disrespects the 59 Cadillac . I have never owned a 59 but I must say I admire them for what they are .
I have always heard good things about the car . Dependable , comfortable  , stylish for the time .  I think it is disrespectful to pass  judgment on  a car 60 some years  after the car was built . Calling the car  blundering, overweight, bizarrely styled, and insanely inefficient. Terrible by any rational measure of what a car should be.  This article makes this great car out to be some kind of cartoon Character . . just my opinion .

Bill

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/12-cars-that-define-cadillac-at-age-110-.html?page=all
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There is little point on commenting on this article which is not only contains factual errors, but half truths and assorted other points which are greatly in need of clarification.

It's evident the author is in a poor position to comment on a marque for which he obviously has so little understanding. Hopefully in future, he will reserve his commentary to the likes of European sports cars and such where no doubt, he has a much better grasp.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Davidinhartford

I agree with some of it.

The Dewar Trophy for interchangability and later the self starter are certainly noteworthy achievements.

The post war tail fin in 48 and the 49 hardtop coupe Deville with its' OHV V8 are noteworthy.

And I agree that the 53 Eldo was the first production glamour car.

I think I would have given the 59 kudos for the most iconic.

67 Eldo is a no brainer.   I also agree that it was the first "Art and Science" themed car.

76 Seville, another game changer.

The  CTS-V really put Cadillac back on the map.   Can't deny that.

As for his loosers?     

Pity the poor Cimarron.   Catera?    Another miss.

Diesel?   Good idea, poor engineering.

V864?     Now here is where I disagree with him.   I don't think the V864 was the big disaster he made it sound to be.   Another case of a good idea mated to early technology that wasn't ready yet.

HT4100?     Sadly installed in some of the best looking cars Cadillac ever made.

Going back to the 59,  it certainly can't be called a failure.    Excessive?  Sure.    But Cadillac knows better than anyone that nothings exceeds liked excess.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

What's irritating is that there's very little new or original in the article that hasn't been stated in dozens of past articles concerning Cadillac history. Countless times before have the 48/49 models been cited for milestone styling, the '67 Eldorado, and this I love - the 1976-1980(?) Seville. By the same token, the '59 Eldorado has long been condemned by the same shallow thinking elitists - the ones who always know best.  ::)

And why exactly is the 1959 Eldorado fin invariably singled out for special critique when every '59 model shares the same damn fin?

As to the V-8-6-4, he's completely misinformed and to some extent, the diesel as well - while the HT 4100 gets a free pass.  ???
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chris Cummings

Just to put my own biased two cents in, it was the V-16 cars in the 1930s that first established Cadillac in peoples' minds as a first-tier luxury car.  Until the V-16s came out, people considered Cadillac to be a well-made, dependable automobile, but not in the same class as Packard, Pierce Arrow, or any of the fancy European manufacturers.  The 16s (and even the 12s) were not a profit center, but they were a game changer in terms of Cadillac's prestige and public perception of the brand.

Chris Cummings

INTMD8

Quote from: Chris Cummings on July 17, 2013, 10:04:46 AM
The 16s (and even the 12s) were not a profit center, but they were a game changer in terms of Cadillac's prestige and public perception of the brand.

Chris Cummings

It's too bad they haven't held on to that philosophy.  I would like to see another Cadillac flagship.

Walter Youshock

I agree with the V-16 and V-12 comments, but where is the '57-'58 Eldorado Brougham on this list?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jon S

As with most articles, we all have our opinions before reading them and hope the article reinforces those opinions.  The 1959 Cadillac (and GM line overall) is really a case of Harley Earl die hards vs Bill Mitchell supporters.  Having had 1958 and older GM products and still having the 1958 Cadillac purchased by my dad new in 1958, and having had many 1959's and newer, my personal opinion is that the 1959's were very stylish compared to their 1958 counterparts and countered Chrysler's Forward Thrust styling campaign started in 1957, BUT were made cheaper and were prone to many new model introduction problems.  What was most disturbing was my dad's salesman's comment when he returned for his 1,000 mile service of "You should have waited a model year."  Totally out of place for a Cadillac salesman!

The 1959 Cadillac has won its place as a styling achievement and is one of the most utilized tail fins in advertising even to this day.  We all have our "favorites" and no matter what anyone writes, our opinions will not be swayed.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Coupe Deville

The 1959 Cadillac has won its place as a styling achievement and is one of the most utilized tail fins in advertising even to this day.  We all have our "favorites" and no matter what anyone writes, our opinions will not be swayed.
[/quote]

I Agree.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Alan Harris CLC#1513

My experience goes back to the early sixties, when they were just used cars. From then until now, I never knew anybody who owned a 1959 Cadillac who didn't think that it was a really good car.

A few years ago, I was cleaning out a house of a family member and found early sixties copies of Consumer Reports Buying Guides. Believe it or not, they rated the 1959 Cadillac very highly as a used car.

Most o9f what this article says is true, but the author is dead wrong about the 59 Cadillac.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Ladies & Gentleman

I appreciate such an interesting topic.

I respect the author's right to express his opinion. However to exclude any Harley Earl LaSalle is a travesty.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Chris Conklin

I think the '59 has been subject to the ebb and flow of what is fashionable. It happens regardless of the marque. Today's Hemming's blog highlights a '31 Duesenberg SJ convertible coupe that is heading to auction. Expecting to fetch $2.5M. In 1953 it was listed for sale in Motor Trend for $150.
Chris Conklin

revgawright

Have to agree with Chuck (though I my bias may be showing) that certainly the LaSalle deserves a place in the lineup. By the way, the current issue (Sept 2013) has a feature article on the 18 most innovative American cars. The 1912 self-starter made the list, as well as the 1915 V8, and 1974 for introduction of airbags.
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!