News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seafoam products in older Cadillacs does it work ?

Started by Gene McCormick, July 18, 2013, 01:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene McCormick

There is much hype on the internet on Seafoam products how great it is. I can see adding a can to the gas tank of a Cadillac
and no harm done, But is it any better then Chevrons Techtron additive in their gas. Seafoam Trans Tune claims it will free up
sticky valves and remove gum and varnish. Great now you have stuff floating around in your tranny. Has anybody used these
products safely in their Cadillacs ?  Gene

Chris Conklin

I tried it in my '66 Eldorado (429cid), both as a fuel additive and as directed in the carburetor. I didn't know the history of the car and the seller stated the carb was rebuilt. It seemed to provide a slight improvement in idle for a while, but I ended up rebuilding the upper-end and replacing valves anyway. But I would say it did no harm. No experience with their transmission product however.
Chris Conklin

RyanBurman

I've put seafoam in both the fuel and the oil system of my Cadillac. Haven't messed with the trans stuff yet but I would only do it for a short period then change the filter and fluid. I noticed a slight improvement in the idle as well as a little smoother running but that's about it when you put it in the gas tank. It does wonders for oil though! My Cadillacs hadn't been changed in close to 30 years and I poured a whole can( the small $10 one) in the oil tube and let it run and get good and hot. Then drained the oil and low and behold it even got the sludge out of the bottom of the pan!