News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Original sale from GM to Dealer

Started by Retroman, July 21, 2013, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retroman

Last year I wanted to trace the original history of my 1966 DeVille Convertible from its MFG origin to the dealership. I paid the $50 to the company I think some have used and while they did give me a lousy copy of the sheet with the vin number, I did NOT get the dealer it was sold to.  I was told the GM didn't have all the records.  Personally, I find that hard to believe so I thought I would pose the question here.  Has anyone else run into that?  I would very much like to get a copy of the Original Window Sticker if I could.  Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Neil F
1966 DeVille Convertible

CLC Primary Class Award Winner
Third place 1965-66

Rhinebeck, NY 2014 - 2nd place in class
Rhinebeck, NY 2015 - 1st place in class
2014 - Lake George, NY

Barry M Wheeler #2189

What you have to do is realize that GM could care not one iota about the history of their cars. They set up museums when they have the funds, and as soon as the economy gets tight again, the cars go into storage and the museums close. Paper records such as you want are considered trash. If something is not going to make them money tomorrow, they'll throw it out.

Much of the material that we have obtained for our museum was gathered from just ahead of the janitors assigned to clean up the offices that were not currently in use. I myself, have picked up stacks of new manuals when a dealership was moving into new quarters. And when I was working for the same dealership later in life, I again got stacks and stacks of manuals as they were going to an on-line system for that info.

It really is too bad that you can't obtain the records on your car, but they expected it to be worn out, wrecked, or just plain thrown away. A 1966 Cadillac convertible. Their research showed conclusively that the American public didn't want convertibles any more. So, guy, what are you doing with that piece of outdated junk that should have been recycled years ago?

The car manufacturers simply think that we're all crazy. They think you should be in a brand new box on wheels. If your next car doesn't go over the curb tomorrow, they may wait until the next day. Have you seen the latest gimmick? Your new Ford is starring in a movie, to get you to relate to what is going on on the screen.

Again, it's too bad you can't get the info you wish. Just be glad you have the car to enjoy.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

52Cadillac

Barry's right. I've heard of your problem Retroman. My build sheet showed the car was sold to a distributor in Ohio. That's all I know, except the previous owner to myself, and he passed on.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

66 Eldo

That company Allied "something" had no records at all for my 66 Eldorado. Zero. Thought that was odd.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Hopefully someday there will be a database that will be able to interpret a good number of the dealer outlet codes.

From what I understand, existing Cadillac production records, just as they are-  are among the most comprehensive of any major auto manufacturer. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

At least you don't have a 1968. There are NO record sheets available for 1968s. Somehow they couldn't be found when the old Clark street facility was cleaned out prior to being demolished.   :(
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike