News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillacs and swamp coolers.

Started by gary griffin, July 24, 2013, 06:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I have heard that the G N may be in Las Vegas within the next few years. Although my restoration of a 1942    6719  is taking more time and money than I originally thought it should be ready by then. Although I live in Seattle area and always have I remember swamp soolers especially on cars headed for Arizona or New Mexico. A neighbor used to rent one for trips. 

I am curious if anybody has knowledge or pictures of Cadillacs with swamp coolers installed.

For young people who are not familiar with them they were devices usually clamped on the passenger window that had water in them and evaporated the water to cool the air. They were most practical in non humid areas.

There are always some on eBay and I have been bidding on them but they were either in bad shape or went for a lot of money. I need to decide while my car is incomplete so I could paint it to match.

Sort of retro I guess. Any  opinions from the readers of this forum???
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Scot Minesinger

I own three 1970 Cadillacs and have restored the climate controls.  Also I am an mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineer.  Swamp coolers take advantage of evaporating water to cool and are only useful in dry climates that do not require humidity removal.

Swamp coolers may be a cool novelty but really they will only be useful in the South West.  If you want A/C I would get some vintage air system that can provide air conditioning that is conventional and removes humidity.

1942 is as you know one of the rarest year of production.  If you add a/c to a 1942, recommend that it can be undone without compromising any cosmetics to preserve the value.  It is your car and you can do whatever you want. 

Enjoy your Cadillac - 1942 - very cool,

Scot   
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

gary griffin

Thanks for the comment Scot, I am a retired mechnical contractor and I am familiar with the limitations of a swamp cooler.

I would not destroy the uniqueness of my 1942 - 6719 in any way. If you looked at my restoration blog you would know I have made all attempts to keep it authentic including under the hood. The only deviation I have made is to insall  a dual master cylinder for safety and will also be installing seat belts for the same reason.

I have never experienced the benefits of swamp coolers but I know evaporation in humid climates is minimal.  I was thinking of adding it to basically carry in  the trunk and to use when I am in the South West. I am planning on driving my car and touring the West Coast and inland to where it would be helpful, and also as a novelty to confuse people. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver