News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'50 Series 61 Rolling!

Started by MDHusker01, July 25, 2013, 12:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDHusker01

Here's an update on my Dad's Series 61. I had troubles finding brake shoes, but finally found a set of Wagner 160 shoes. I'll update with the actual part number later. They were an exact match to the shoes I took off. I reassembled all the front end chrome and installed the hood. Before the brakes were functional, I could not get the tranny to go in reverse (car on jack stands). I was told that this was normal as the drive shaft did turn on the stands. Long story short, after three years of working on the car on my vacations, we took it for the first ride under it's own power in 35 years or so. This was just a couple weeks after we celebrated my Mom & Dad's 80th birthday, and it was on my Mom's BDay.

Youtube video!
http://youtu.be/rkwzP0MQhZo

Thanks for all those that gave me support.
James Roth

59-in-pieces

James,
I couldn't help getting a lump in my throat when I viewed your video.
How great to see 3 generations enjoying the Cadillac.
Congratulations to you all.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Makandriaco

Those moments are the reason why we do this. Congrats!
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Great video.

First time I have seen protective "socks" on the Windscreen Wipers.   But, that is a very good idea.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

52Cadillac

That was fun to watch. Good work.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Jeff Maltby 4194

Brings back fond memories of my $350 1950 Coupe in 1971 @ age 19 and for the sharp eyed, you can see my first/last dingle balls hanging in upper window HA :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

MDHusker01

Thanks for the responses! You know, I really didn't think about the fact that we had three generations riding in that Caddy! Makes it that much more special. My Dad sold me my first car, it was a 1965 Cadillac Sedan De Ville. I let that get away just after High School.

James Roth

R Sotardi #11719

Congrats, Jim. I have a 50 model 62. Reverse, as you probably discovered, is a mechanical type, and the last year as matter of fact. That is, the wheels, therefore the drive shaft, must be at a complete stop in order to engage reverse. The idle must be low enough as well.By engaging the Parking brake you can achieve that while on a lift.    It will kind of walk into "gear" . I know, you did not have the brakes installed yet. The '51s went hydraulic, making it possible to "rock" the car out of a ditch etc.

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on July 26, 2013, 09:06:02 PM
Brings back fond memories of my $350 1950 Coupe in 1971 @ age 19 :<)

Jeff,  speaking of memories.  My Dad had a black '50 coupe back when we were stationed at Burkburnette, Texas.  That was around 1960, or so.  I remember it well.  I used to marvel at the 'hidden' gas tank access.   :D

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Jay Friedman

Congratulations on getting the '50 moving a again under its own power after so many years.  Great video and great accomplishment.  Where are you located?  Looks like a rural area in the midwest. 

I'm curious about the temperature gauge you installed under the dash.  Is it a mechanical gauge or electric?  And what is wrong with the original temperature gauge?

What is wrong with the horn?  Unless there is a problem with the horn button and the contact under it, they are not too difficult to fix.  When you are ready to work on it, let me know and I'll send you an article written for the 1949 Cad Chapter on fixing horns. ('49s and '50s have the same horn button and wiring.) 

I noticed the rear view mirror is discolored.  You can buy those pretty easily either second hand or new.  The same mirrior was used from '50 to  '53.  Try ebay and McVey's in Kansas.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."