News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Insurance Co. that cover you without a garage

Started by jay1140, July 25, 2013, 10:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay1140

I just bought a 1969 Cadillac De Ville Convertible and i am trying to get Insurance. i tried Grundy Classic car insurance, but they rejected me because I don't have a garage, it WOULD be under a carport though ... Any ideas or an Insurance company that it no garage friendly?
J Ybarra
1969 Cadillac De Ville Convertible

TJ Hopland

From what I remember when I was searching a locked garage was a requirement for all the 'classic' car insurance companies.    I don't recall any of them defining what a garage was or what type of lock it had.   I don't think I even remember them asking for photos of the garage.  I wonder if the soft side / tent type of things would qualify?   Maybe you could just put soft sides on your car port?   May be worth asking the insurance companies and then your city to see how many hoops you would have to jump through to have it allowed.

Did you check with your regular insurance agent?   Many of the agents deal with several carriers and they may be able to check with their sources to see if they can find something that can work for you.

Depending on the area you live in you may find that if you do find insurance without the garage it will be enough more expensive that you can afford to rent a garage somewhere and go with the more typical insurance. 

Is this car nice enough that you really need more than minimum coverage?  If not your regular insurance company will likely be able to just put liability and what ever the other state minimum requirements are.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

n2caddies

I've been with Haggerty for 20 + years with multiple cars and they have never asked for photos of my garage. I would think secured storage to prevent theft and vandalism is he concern. Perhaps enclosing the carport in some fashion would suffice.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

TJ Hopland

Also I suspect weather would be a factor.   Hail is common in a lot of the country and often an expensive repair.   For that you would think a car port would be good enough.   Maybe it would be worth a call or email asking about your specific situation and the coverage you seek.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Hagerty asked me for photos of all my cars INSIDE the garage. After a few years with them. So I am not sure what prompted them to do that UNTIL I asked questions---  Seems they checked me out on Google Earth--- they saw this crazy place from the SKY and went goofy---- Yep, way too many project cars out back! NONE of them were on my Hagerty list-- But they wanted to see what I do to keep cars inside.. SO - With the new way to have a look at us by internet, we all need to be aware that someone if watching us..
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

TJ Hopland

Good point.   IF you live in or near a major area its pretty amazing the detail you can see on plain old public sites like google.  Even in ther rural areas you can make out a lot of stuff in the pics.  I wonder if someone gets paid to look at images of all their customers places?  Imagine what sort of detail the government may have access to?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Rod Dahlgren #19496 on July 25, 2013, 07:54:28 PM
Hagerty asked me for photos of all my cars INSIDE the garage. After a few years with them. So I am not sure what prompted them to do that UNTIL I asked questions---  Seems they checked me out on Google Earth--- they saw this crazy place from the SKY and went goofy---- Yep, way too many project cars out back! NONE of them were on my Hagerty list-- But they wanted to see what I do to keep cars inside.. SO - With the new way to have a look at us by internet, we all need to be aware that someone if watching us..

Google Earth?  The bastids!!  Well, at least our shop shows up in the GE image of our property.  I guess that's why they just take my money when I call to add another car!! 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

jay1140

Wow thanks everyone, these are all helpful tips that i will be looking into
J Ybarra
1969 Cadillac De Ville Convertible

D.Yaros

Quote from: Rod Dahlgren #19496 on July 25, 2013, 07:54:28 PM
Hagerty asked me for photos of all my cars INSIDE the garage. After a few years with them. So I am not sure what prompted them to do that UNTIL I asked questions---  Seems they checked me out on Google Earth---

SO - With the new way to have a look at us by internet, we all need to be aware that someone if watching us..
Maybe I should be, but I an not at all offended by this.  Hagerty checking via widely available resources seems like a good business practice that works to keep all our rates low?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Yes, I agree that this is good business practice.. But I sure don't want some eviromentalnuts to see my cars.. Sure, I have more than enough, but hey, I plug away at restorations and when you do work on old cars, you sometimes come across a GOOD donor car, or a project worth grabbing.. They seem to add up after doing it for YEARS... Lets see here, average restoration time needed for each car--- 1-2 years.. How many do I have here to do----- uh-- hmm.... 50? uh--- OH! 100 years of work? Uh----------  I may be in trouble.. YEP, I am in trouble...
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

n2caddies

Frankly the thought of a object flying over my property taking pictures of what I consider to be my private domain is unnerving. After all that's why I built a fence around it at considerable  cost for privacy and security which is now being compromised. Local officials are using GE to identify back yard improvements to add value to the property to increase taxes. Code enforcement is now citing homeowners for cars that are visible even if the tires are up and they have a non op registration through the DMV. Sorry fellas for the rant. I know this isn't the proper venue.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Chris Conklin

There really is no such thing as private domain. You do not own the air space above your property nor do you own the right to exploit what may lie under it.

As to the original post; AAA used to offer collector insurance without requiring a garage. I believe they have since changed their minds on that though.
Chris Conklin