News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Which headlamp is OEM (if either) and where do I find another one?

Started by MB49Caddy, July 26, 2013, 12:30:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB49Caddy

The Numbers on my '49 sedan headlamps read as follows:
Drivers side: "2" (at top center of lens)
Passenger side: "2D1" (at top center of lens) & "WAGNER" in center of lens

Also, how do I remove these to replace once I find the OEM ones?

Thanks,

MB
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

harry s

Matt, The original headlights on your car were Guide metal reflector type seal beam. They are almost impossible to find and very expensive if you do. A vendor at Hershey a couple of years ago had a limited supply at $135 (or so) each. You can get later Guide 2 beam bulbs which are still pricey compared to aftermarket replacements such as Wagner, GE, etc. How's everything else coming with your '49?    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

MB49Caddy

Thanks, and I may have found some!  ;)

Everything else is going ok with it, but a lot of work to do on it. 

Fixed the leaking window piston in the drivers door and I think we have the leak stopped from the rear diff, but time will tell as I saw a few drops today in the driveway but not sure where that is coming from yet.

Other than that it is a blast. Love the car!

MB
"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right." - Abraham Lincoln

Alan Harris CLC#1513

If you really want to be excruciatingly correct, you want six volt Guide Headlamps without the aiming lugs on them. I think the lugs came along in 1958 or so.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Alan Harris CLC#1513

That gives me the thought- I wonder if these have been reproduced by the Corvette guys?

MB49Caddy

MB49Caddy

From another CLC'er...
Recognize these as OEM for my '49?
MB

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Alan Harris CLC#1513

That link was very informative. If the literal correct lights aren't available, I wouldn't bother with reproductions of the replacement ones. AACA judging standards only require that the lights be a matching pair. That seems reasonable to me.