News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 eldo AC leaking evap.

Started by Viator Trudeau, July 26, 2013, 06:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

I found a known good evaporator, but what to look for problems in the VIR.
Its the original unit  What to look for not being right.
Does any one out there have any suggestions?  Thanks
V Trudeau

TJ Hopland

I'm no expert on these but am in the process of learning right now because I am trying to get my 73's AC up and running. 

It's apparently an odd and unique design that GM tried out mid 73-76.   Originally it was considered a non serviceable part and if there was a problem it was to be replaced as an assembly.  It appears that at one time there were some service parts available for them but they either were used up or rotted on the shelf so there was a period where there was nothing available.  It appears that now there is a basic rebuild kit available which consists of some o rings, gaskets, and the descant (dryer) bag.  I am told that the actual valve part of the unit was reasonably reliable which is good since they are apparently not available.  What can kill them is a compressor coming apart and filling them with crap or them sitting for a long time and corroding.  It seems if either of those things happens to them they won't ever work correctly again.  There also seems to be great debate on if they can or should be calibrated and if they can or should be re calibrated to work better with R134.   

I started this thread a few days ago asking about peoples experience with the conversion kits that eliminate these things.  There are some other tidbits I have read about there related to other parts of the system.  So far no replies but I did specify that I was only looking to hear from people with experience in the conversion, not how I should just keep things original so it may take some time.
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=126221.0

I was talking to a friend with a 73 last night and he mentioned having the dryer replaced on his a couple years ago and from the cost he was talking about it may have been one of the conversions.   He says it blows just as cold as it ever did now.   He also just got a 'smart' phone so as soon as his grand kids teach him how to use it he is going to go snap some pics for me so I can see if its a original or conversion.  If its a conversion I will have to pay him a visit.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

T J
73 used the divorced components not a V I R.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

The divorced components seem to be more reliable.  If it was more important to me to have bullet proof a/c than original VIR, I would go with a 73 system on a 74 thru 76, only after could not get VIR system to work well.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I have 3 73 Eldos  2 have VIR's and one has the POV?   It seems that the VIR's were a mid year switch so if you got a late 73 GM product it could have had a VIR.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason