News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6 Volt to 12 volt --gauge problems

Started by jsmithtss, July 26, 2013, 04:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsmithtss

I've just changed my 47 Cad. from 6 volt to 12 volt.  The old 346 flathead starts like a champ and runs fine, but my temperature gauge goes to " hot "  after warm-up.  I have tried putting a resistor ahead of the gauge ( + ) and after it. Neither have worked.  I've also installed a new thermostat with the same result.  Can anyone suggest what else I could do to solve the overheating gauge?  Could I put in a 12 volt temp. sensor and cure the problem?
  Thanks

Coupe Deville

I would think putting in a 12 volt tempature gauge would solve the problem but you might have to get a new tempature switch. In not sure Good Luck
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

bcroe

Quote from: jsmithtssI've just changed my 47 Cad. from 6 volt to 12 volt.  The old 346 flathead starts like a champ and runs fine, but my temperature gauge goes to " hot "  after warm-up.  I have tried putting a resistor ahead of the gauge ( + ) and after it. Neither have worked.  I've also installed a new thermostat with the same result.  Can anyone suggest what else I could do to solve the overheating gauge?  Could I put in a 12 volt temp. sensor and cure the problem?   

I think the straight forward solution, is use a small electronic regulator to drop the temp gauge circuit supply from 12V to 6V.  Otherwise you are redesigning the circuit to accomplish the equivalent.  Bruce Roe

pauldridge

You do need to drop the voltage to 6V for all the gauges.  Ford used an instrument voltage 'regulator' in their 1950's pre-12V cars, you can get one of those from NAPA or other stores for $20-30 dollars.  Don't just try to put a resistor inline... these gauges need a consistent voltage to function properly.

Here's a link to one at Napa:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Instrument-Cluster-Voltage-Regulator/_/R-ECHIR1_0344444980

And, of course, with the proper voltage, your original 6V sending unit should work just fine.
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]

jsmithtss

THANKS GUYS!!!!!  I have ordered a voltage reg. and will install some time next week.
    Phil, thanks for the link to NAPA, it really helped. ( Love your Pic.)  I was surprised and very pleased with all of the quick responses .  Thank you so much. :)
                                          J.Smith