News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

71 Cad with louvers ?

Started by dan48, July 26, 2013, 10:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan48

I'm looking at a 71 CDV . The one original owner died recently. It appears completely original . However, one thing has me puzzled, and I don't have a car for comparison. The trunk lid has a row of louvers toward the forward edge. The openings do not go directly into the trunk -- looks m like they lead to an inner liner. The grandson/heir in possession of the car says it must have come that way. True ? Did 71's come with any louvers in the trunk lid ? If so, what is the purpose ? Thanks - D. Lough
Dan Lough

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I am pretty sure that 1971 cars had this feature. Something to do with ventilation or emissions. In any case, don't worry, they are supposed to be there.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Alan Harris CLC#1513

All 1971 GM cars had louvers in the trunk lid. It was part of a system GM was pushing as a substitute for the discontinued vent window. The HVAC blower ran continuously at a low speed and the louvers were there to relieve the air pressure in the cabin.
I think it was called "flow through ventilation".

It wasn't popular. Customers complained about the blower that wouldn't shut off and dealers got tired of explaining that they were supposed to be that way. The system was dropped and forgotten

jagbuxx #12944

Also, there was changes midway thru '71 model year, later cars had less louvers.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Davidinhartford

Yup.   Just as everyone said.  And the later ones had fewer like this one.

Walter Youshock

My aunt and uncle had a '71.  They, my sister and cousin went to Niagara Falls for a vacation and suddenly became ill in the car.  They stopped to rest, felt better and continued on their trip and it happened again.  They stopped at a garage to find a leaky exhaust system and it was getting sucked back into the car through those trunk louvers.  That's one reason it was one-year-only.  Needless to say, the car was traded soon after.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

936CD69

In 72 and later years those louvers were replaced by the vents you see in all modern cars inside the door jambs, The blowers still ran on low speed at all time in later years, after the engine warmed up.
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

TJ Hopland

I believe the blower ran at low speed any time the key was on.  The feature you are likely thinking of related to engine temp was that in heat modes the blower would not be allowed to speed up till the engine was warm.  Can't have cold air blowing on you in the winter.   Defrost would go to high no matter engine temp.     All the 70's and 80's cads I have tangled with worked this way.   Its possible that some of the later stuff may have shut the blower off in off modes (gas saving maybe?) but the 70's stuff seemed to leave it on.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Coupe Deville

I have a 1972 Coupe Deville and when ever the key is on the fan runs too.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"