News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

75 Eldo Trunk Pull Down

Started by Jeff Wilk, July 28, 2013, 09:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

Pull down just decided to stop working. It is in the down position. Need to close trunk lid hard now to get it to latch. Any ideas on what to check for?  Switch?  Seperate fuse?  A wire?

Thanks

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

Has it got power?  It should have +12 all the time.

So it had been working fine, the last time it seemed to close normally and the next time you opened it it never seemed to have popped up?   Or did it somehow pull itself down without the trunk being latched to it?   Any chance someone else opened the trunk since last time you did?   What I am getting at is that maybe it needs to be raised again and things will go back to normal. 

I think that style worked off of ground.   When the latch makes contact that starts the process.   Mine I did not have the carpeted cover over it and sometimes if I was loading something metal I would accidentally hit it and it would pull down on me. 

I don't have the car near me at the moment and its been long enough since I worked on one so I don't remember the finer details.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Wilk

Not sure where to check for current?  As far as i know the last time it worksd fine and now nothing. Im only used to the 1958 & 1959 styles

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

Davidinhartford

If my memory is correct, there was an in-line fuse to that.

TJ Hopland

Inline sounds right to me too. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Wilk

Thanks folks.....I will track this down through the wires I can see first and the fuse block of course, and if that is no good, I will let you know......probably not getting to it until next week.....AFTER the Grand National.......

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

Jeff Wilk

LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!!!!! ???

We did some basic looking around tonight and found a wire connecter for the pull down motor but NO WIRE!!!

Upon looking further I found a loose wire and just brushed against it and sparks sparks sparks.....

Turns out that the BLACK wire coming off of the small electric motor(?) -(the silver thing that is the size of a "C" battery with a red and black wire, and a small gear on the end when you remove it) is completely frayed and exposed.

Soooooooo  what is that part and where do I find a replacement?  Is it the motor?  Is it available new?  Is it common for other vehicles?

Help as we are planning on driving the car up to the GN on Friday and would love to repair this before hand or we will just have to tape up the red lead and keep the part out for now........thanks gang.....

Jeff

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan