News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Battery observations, side vs top post.

Started by TJ Hopland, July 26, 2013, 10:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Instead of taking anther battery thread in another direction I figure I would start a new one. 

Everything I have ever owned with top posts has always had cable corrosion issues and tends to have corrosion issues in and around the tray and general vicinity of the battery.   Top post stuff would be the minority of what I have owned and worked on in my lifetime coming from a GM family and first getting my hands dirty on 70's GM cars.  Sure I have had issues with cables on side posts but it just does not seem as bad as the top post stuff.   

Has anyone else observed this?    I wonder if it has to do with how well sealed the top posts are to the case?  Or the proximity of the terminals to the normal vents?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

I've had Delco side posts leak battery acid and had one completely separate from the battery spiting acid all over the tray.  I believe your comment regarding proximity to the vents on the top terminal batteries is most likely what causes the corrosion.  I always coat the top terminals with vasoline and then install the cables and have avoided corrosion on all of my cars.  Rain water and snow (not on our classic cars!) can also contribute to terminal corrosion.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

n2caddies

My first experience with side posts was on my 73 hippie van when I was 17  years old and the darn things seemed to corrode at the bolt. Perhaps from moisture due to the hood and grill design. And they were a b*%#h to jump. Some where along the line a found a can of these red felt rings that slip over the terminals on the top posts and I have not bad a problem. Had those for 30 years and they are still moist in the can and work. EPA probably outlawed them as I haven't seen them since.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

TJ Hopland

I remember those rings.  Seems like I have seen them still for sale but you are likely right that what ever the magic ingredient was is no longer allowed.   Old style lead top posts I always clean well then spray with that paint like stuff, it seems to help.  Have not seen that as bad on the newer sheet metal like top post stuff but its not that old yet so we will see.

Anyone know what the theory was or why GM went to the side post?  Did they 'invent' it? 

I do buy the dual post batteries when ever I can.  One reason is I have a mix of stuff and never know what may need a battery next.  The other reason is jump starting is less than ideal with the side post so its nice to have the top posts there to clamp to.   Be sure to keep a plastic cap on the positive one!  Its pretty ugly to drop a tool on one of those and us 70-90's GM people are not used to having to worry about that.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Classic

The red and green battery terminal protectors are made by NOCO http://www.nocousa.com/pdf/Noco-Catalog-Chemicals.pdf. They are available from NAPA as part number NW 728283 and they are a combination type which can be used on both top and side terminal batteries.  Dorman also sells them (probably buys them from NOCO) and Dorman products are widely available at auto parts stores.  Priced at about $2/pair.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Gene Beaird

The last OEM Delco battery I had leaked out the positive battery terminal on our '02 GMC diesel.  That's when I replaced both batteries with Optimas.  I'll do just about anything to get liquid-acid batteries out of my cars.

I believe GM went with side-post batteries for packaging purposes.  A side-post battery will fit in a much shorter area, allowing lower hoods that are popular in today's cars, and allowing them to fit in tight compact car front wheel drive engine compartment. 

I usually clean and coat the battery terminal and the cable ends with dielectric grease, then 'seal' the cable end with more dielectric grease when I tighten the cables to the battery. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

mechanic80

I have used hairspray to seal the terminals of top post batteries.  Fast, easy and lasts (unless they get wet.)
mechanic80