News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fittment issues on '69 Coupe DeVille: radiator, wilwood brakes, PML valve covers

Started by Mihai Tarţa, July 31, 2013, 07:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihai Tarţa

Hi!
I'd like to share with you some problems I ran into while installing a set of Willwood D52 front calipers, aGriffin exact fit radiator and a pair of PML aluminium valve covers.
Bare in mind that I still think these are excellent products and the problems I've encountered stem from the fact that they address a broader range of applications and are not exactly vehicle specific parts.

GRIFFIN EXACT FIT RADIATOR, part No:6-70006
Problems:
1. It doesn't have a heater return hose pipe, so you will have to bore a hole and weld one on. Be very careful not to damage the transmission cooler while doing so.
2. The fittings for the transmission cooler lines are a different size, so you'll have to buy or fabricate adapters.
3. The outlet pipe is larger than the original (1 3/4 vs 1 1/2) so it will have to be cut off and you will have to weld on a proper sized pipe.
4. Check the gaskets on the transmission cooler fittings. On mine one was defective and needed replacement.

WILWOOD D52 Front brake kit, part No: 140-11290-R
Problems:
1. The inside of the calipers will need to be machined a little bit in order for them to clear the disk and for the pads to sit properly.
2. You will need to use 1/4-5/16 wheel spacers if you are using the stock rims
3. They make a squeaking sound when the pedal isn't pressed and it goes away as soon as you touch the pedal. I didn' figure this out yet.

PML CAST ALUMINIUM VALVE COVERS.
These are great looking valve covers and their customer service is excellent. There are no issues concerning the build quality. All the fitment issues I had relate to vehicle specifics. The covers fit perfectly on the engine.
Problems:
1.The passenger's side cover cannot be installed without modifying the heater outlet pipe that comes out of the firewall. It will need to be cut in order to get the cover in.
2. One of the screws on the passenger's side cover is very hard to get to, because it lines up with the AC outlet pipe. It's hard to tighten it, but it can be done.

1969 Coupe DeVille
1976 Eldorado Convertible

Oradea, Romania

Scot Minesinger

Thanks for letting us know this is useful information.  You are patient guy.

I have almost the same car a 1970 Cadillac.  My first priority is always function over original, such as hose clamps for example. Your valve cover switch seemed reasonable.  The brakes and radiator seem like they are approaching the not worth it stage.  Maybe the radiator company has some factory option for a return on heater, as almost every car made after 1965 included a heater.  I installed a 4 core radiator in my 1970 and the trans cooler lines were one size too small female fittings and had to go to NAPA for some adaptors.  The four core radiator keeps the car nice and cool (installed temp gauge).  The standard disc brakes work good enough for me, but I could understand the need for a performance enhancement.   

Maybe the radiator and brake installation challenges were a piece of cake for you and that speaks to your talent.  The no return on the radiator for heater would have made me return the radiator.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

66 Eldo

With that much modification needed for the radiator they really should drop the "exact fit" designation. I'm sure it cools better than the original though. 

Too bad the company that makes the valve covers did not do their research and use correct and new for 1968 script Cadillac used when the 472 engine was introduced. The one they used is for modern Cadillacs. Sounds picky, but those things bug me.

Mihai Tarţa

OPGI has some very neat stuff all around, but their international shipping rates are outrageous so that's not an option for me.
I guess they should drop the "exact fit", but I'm hoping it'll work out fine in the end.
1969 Coupe DeVille

Oradea, Romania

Mihai Tarţa

@Scot The brakes didn't need major mods. I took them in to a machine shop and they fit good now. As for the wheel spacers, Wilwood had a warning in the description about fitment issues with certain 15" wheels, so I guess I had that one coming.
The brakes work really nice as they don't fade at all, no matter how hard or how much you abuse them. It's a really good feeling knowing that you can rely on them. Braking force is about the same, I guess, as both callipers (stock and wilwood) will block the wheels if you press them hard enough. the difference between them is the fading and that you get bigger pedal travel with wilwood and it's easier to control the amount of braking. It takes a little getting used to.
Fitment problems aside, I'm very happy with the result.
I just wanted to let other users know what they are in for if they choose to install them. It makes the whole process less frustrating if you know what to expect.

@66eldo I don't think they claim that the design is period correct, but they look pretty nice. They have several models, including ones that don't have script. They come powder coated, as-cast or polished.
1969 Coupe DeVille

Oradea, Romania

n2caddies

You gotta love these old cars!!  It seems to me that nearly every time I have used aftermarket parts on my cars whether it be a street rod or caddy there seems to be some tweaking or modifications needed.  At the end of the day it's gratifying to have figured out the solution and share them with your peers as you have. It's part of the fun of the hobby for me.
Good job!!
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

TJ Hopland

The radiator thing seems pretty far from exact fit.   Last fall I bought a modern plastic aluminum one for my 73.  I knew it was not supposed to fit my car but the core width and height were correct (apparently pretty typical for GM) so I figured it would be close.  Only mod I had to do was cut a slight notch in part of the shroud because the nipple for the heater hose was about 1/2 lower than on the original.  I did have a slight problem getting it to drop in because the lower nipple is about 2" longer than the original.  If my rubber mounts were in perfect condition they would not have fit the new one quite right but since mine were pretty smushed they fit pretty well.  Hoses were all correct size.  Trans lines correct size.  A radiator shop suggested it to me.  I think I looked up the app and it said it was for some of the trucks and the HD option for a few of the cars.

For those looking for less expensive closer to stock size valve covers MTS (500cid.com) usually has decent 'imported' chrome ones.  They usually sell for around $50.  You can find em for less but it can be hard to guess if you are getting recycled warped soda cans.  MTS filters through the crap for you. 

On the script question perhaps its a licensing issue?   Maybe some of the 'fonts' are copyrighted and others are not?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Like it has been said, you gotta love these old cars and any "exact fit" usually is not.  You need to have metric tools as well as SAE, say for example to replace an alternator or starter because the nuts that thread onto the studs use a 9mm.

OPGI has been no good for me.  They sold me a re-built carb and it was so poor, I returned it saying it was unfit to install.  OPGI questioned my return and stated that it had been installed, when I did not.  Came to be that another customer installed it, returned it and they sold it to me as newly re-built.  I ordered the four suspension springs once and after about four months of no delivery I cancelled the order, and ordered from USA Parts and had them the next day!  OPGI prices are very high, their shipping cost is very high and it takes a long time to get the part.  Never again.  USA Parts and other vendors are far superior.

USA Parts has the exact fir 4 core radiator and it is installed on all three of my 1970 Cadillacs.  Except for the trans line adaptors it is an exact fit, I think it is from Desert Aire.  Recently returning from GN I was stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam where the car idled the entire time and never got above 212'F (I have temp gauge) when it was sunny and 90'F.  I'm happy with the radiator.

Thanks for the information, and enjoy your Cadillac!
Enjoy your Cadillac
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Scott, what was the difference in the trans fittings?  I don't remember those being anything unusual and they seemed to fit just about everything GM made.  Seems strange that several of the 'exact fit' rads don't have the correct fittings.  I swapped a Chev 305 engine from a car with a 250 trans into a 1 ton pickup that had a 6.2 with the 400 trans and to my surprise the car's trans lines were an exact fit in the truck.

Lately its my wife's 93 Ford that is driving me nuts as far as metric vs SAE.  Its got bell housing bolts that go both directions.  The ones that thread into the engine are metric and the ones that thread into the trans are SAE.   On the GM stuff you can usually guess which stuff is going to be metric but on this Ford it almost seems random.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason