News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

81 digital dash issues

Started by TJ Hopland, August 04, 2013, 11:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Never tangled with a digital dash before.   I'm looking at an 81 and the seller says among other little things the fuel gauge does not work.  I'm not sure yet if there is just no display or its just 'stuck'. If its stuck I assume its the same as any other fuel gauge where its wiring or sending unit.   Is the entire dash one assembly?  Or is it separate modules like analog stuff would have been?  So can the speedo display be replaced or repaired separate from the other stuff?  Was cluster in the E body different for the C's? Or could the internal modules / displays at least be swapped  Other than electrical connector issues were there common issues?

I'm fine with the rest of the quirks of that era just not sure about the digital dash so open to hear thoughts or experiences related to this era.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dave Shepherd

Those digital clusters are one unit and it was and is very common for them to crap out, there are several companies that repair these  dashes, now of course if the tank unit is bad that is a different story, open circuit full, grounded is empty.  Poor soldered joints seemed to be the most common issue.  The Eldo /Seville were seperate units.