News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac Rochester Carburetor Gas Leak

Started by jaxops, August 05, 2013, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

I noticed gas seeping out of the side of my Rochester carburetor behind the accelerator pump.  Not good! Time to replace with those ethanol-resistant gaskets.  It could have been a bad rebuild earlier on.....or the gasket-eating gasoline.  Either way, gasoline seeping onto the hot manifold is dangerous.  I found it just tinkering around with the tuneup.  So it's always a wise idea to eyeball every part of the car while it is running.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

2danreed

Yep, probably due for a gasket kit. I too have a '56 with a Rochester and noticed the same thing happening a few months ago, but also found that many of the screws on the top of the carb were loose. Tightened them all up and its been good since. I'm always checking for leaks while the car is running and that's how I found the leak in the first place. Actually just a weeping at the seam rather than a full-blown leak, but heading that direction if left unattended. My Father-in-law lost a Corvette that way so I've been diligent ever since.   
Dan Reed

jaxops

Dan,

After rebuilding 3 times, I went ahead and replaced it.  What a difference that made!  I was skeptical about the rebuilt-replacement as it had not worked out well several years earlier, but this one was a good rebuild and is working fine.  For the first time, we were able to dial-in the timing and dwell to factory specs without finagling everything to get to those specs!  Also, the car starts right up now.  I was having to pump the gas 25 times to get it started, but now, just as you are supposed to, I depress the pedal once, and hit the starter and she goes!!  Now to repaint the manifold and cover the fuel lines and fuel pump to prevent vapor lock. 

Keep a "weather-eye" on that carburetor.  This leaking came on all of a sudden, although the symptoms of a bad carb were there.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

2danreed

Hey, that's great! Glad to hear your back on the road and its running well. Did you replace with another Rochester?

Dan
Dan Reed