News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Fan Belt Source & Part Number Needed Please

Started by rismt, August 08, 2013, 10:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rismt

Hello ...

I am trying to locate a source and part number for both the main pulley/fan belt (approximately 1" wide by 38 1/2") and the generator/water pump belt (app. 7/8" wide by 49") for a 1941 Flathead 346 V8 motor.

My car is a driver and not a show car so they do not have to be exact OEM specs or brand. Appreciate your help.

Thanks much,
Bob Schwartz
Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA
1939 Cadillac Series 61 Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Bob: Gates Rubber makes a replacement belt both for the fan and generator. I don't have the parts numbers but if John Washburn sees this posting I am sure he will add his comments as to part numbers and where to buy. The other source for belts is McVey Cadillac. For years I used Gates belts but have found the belts to be noisy and they ride high in the pulley because the slope of the V in the belt does not match the V on pulleys. I now use a belt that is made for McVey Cadillac and is a wrapped belt as original, fits correctly in the pulleys and is quiet. These belts are not cheap but Cadillac's were made to run quiet and the McVey belt does run quiet.   Bill

http://www.mcveys.com/

rismt

Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA

Jeff Maltby 4194

2009 post 46 replacement belt.

The upper radiator hoses are straight 1-1/4"ID hose. For the lower hose, use Gates #20589 or Goodyear #60744. This hose is longer and with an extra curve that you won't need. You will need to cut it to only use the portion that will fit from radiator to water pump, which will be pretty obvious.

For the generator belt, get a Goodyear #28T485 or equivalent. All of the foregoing should be available through a NAPA store.
The fan belt is Gates #618 or Goodyear #32T364. You probably cannot get either one locally. A Gates #44411 is sold by some Cadillac vendors such as McVey's and Ed Cholakian's AllCads, but usually cannot be obtained through any parts stores.

Be careful in cutting the lower radiator hose-too short and it won't have enough hose on the metal of the pump or radiator, and too long, it will be a real bear to get into the limited space provided for it.
Bob Schuman,CLC#254

2008 post 41 replacement belt: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=103957.0
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

rismt

Bob Schwartz
CLC Member #25646
Spokane, WA

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bob,

Your best bet is McVey's. He has the original correct Fan Belt. The problem with the others listed by Jeff, the 618 Gates or 32T64 by Goodyear is that they are replacement belts (that have the correct length).

The correct fan belt is 1 1/16" wide and has a 34 degree angle (17 degrees each side). The replacement, like the 618 has the correct width but the angle is 40 degrees, so the belt will not fit correctly and will make noise.

My opinion.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

rismt