News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 60 special trunk emblem

Started by mr41cadillac, August 08, 2013, 03:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

need to know the exact colors of the 41 60 special trunk emblem. or is there a new one available thanks john

srk1941

There are lots of pictures online of this emblem, here is the first one that popped up:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/6894683337_13a0ca227f_z.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/chloe-and-ivan/6894683337/&h=418&w=640&sz=131&tbnid=u-4TkmMEopto4M:&tbnh=105&tbnw=161&zoom=1&usg=__RyldK5LTYAUFuKksq9XiZSHFdAg=&docid=HbGwoeZXoTHrdM&sa=X&ei=tx4EUtZJhIzIAbqugdAO&ved=0CE0Q9QEwBA&dur=424

If you have a 1941 Cadillac, you should really get the 1941 Authenticity Manual, it documents this and many other things.

I don't believe reproductions are available, but I believe that AllCads sells restored emblems.
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

Paul Phillips

The Authenticity Manual will describe the correct colors in detail. Another source for restored 1941 emblems is Steve Cooley in FL. Call him at (352) 382-2271

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Testor's Candy Apple Red is usually the color of choice. The original ones have faded so that you can't tell the original color. However this color matches the original 1941-52 hubcap medallions quite well. Get the stickiest masking tape you can find, and new single edge razor blades to mask off the insert area on both the trunk and the nose emblem.

Resist the temptation to remove the masking tape until fully dry. 98% of us have pulled the tape off too soon. Am I right, guys?
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

mr41cadillac

thanks barry. I was in michaels yesterday and had a bottle of candy apple red in my hand but put it back as iwasnt sure. can you buy it in a s?pray can and is that  best way to apply ? the other colors look to be black white and pale yellow ? michaels hastiny brushes  that might work for the black white and yellow.  anyhow my emblem is great condition just needs paint. advise thanks john

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John, you should be able to get it in spray cans. And for the emblem, you need white, black, navy, and red. The paint flows into the ridges and then you can scrape the excess off with a razor blade or pointed hobby knife.

While I am passing on tips, black is used in the following locations: Top grill bar "indents." Indents on the tail lamp bezels. Ridges on the 60S and 67/75 door handles. ridges in the fender spears. Indents on the speedo/clock bezels. Indents on any rocker panels trim.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

mr41cadillac

barry thanks I will attempt to paint it myself thanks so much for the correct colors john

gary griffin

I have done a few hubcap center medalians and found a good procedure also on this forum, and I added my own little trick.

Instead of a paint brush I use the small end of a wooden toothpick which allows me to sort of spread the paint arond and add paint as needed. Only a drop at a time but no brush hairs putting paint where I do not want it.  You can spread the paint and pick up any excess, and sometimes I use the large end cutting them at an angle with a exacto knife to get it how I want it.

Of course you change toothpicks when you change colors. Try it, you might like it.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I've done that, too, and it's better than a brush, as you say. PS, the items are on the way. Go through all the paper!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville