News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning Chrome

Started by joecaristo, August 09, 2013, 12:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecaristo

Hey guys,
Whats everyone's method for cleaning their chrome? I just got my rear bumper rechromed and I don't want to scratch it when I clean it.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe Caristo

R Sotardi #11719

If it is just a bit dirty, dust it off then use windex. If it needs a polish I like Wenol or Simi Chrome. Can be bought on Amazon. To remove surface stuff, like sap or sticky stuff, use  Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami, then wash it off and add polish. Ron

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I sometimes use silver polish. It is a lot more gentle than any chrome cleaner. Follow up with a good coat of wax.

Dan LeBlanc

I just ordered some Wenol Blue from Autogeek.  I'm glad to see someone else has used it.  What were the results like?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

R Schroeder

I have always used the same wax that I use on the car.
Roy

Dan LeBlanc

That looks pretty minty fresh, Roy
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

R Schroeder

Thanks Dan. Not bad for 35 years. All original. Front end is a good bug killer.
Roy

R Sotardi #11719

There are two types of Wenol . One comes in a toothpaste type container. This is the ultra soft. You can use this first, then move to the small can which may be used for maintaining a perfect luster. The ultra soft is a fine jewelers polish, which is typical of what jewelers use on rings etc. There is no need to wax after Wenol removal of excess and buffing. A coat of wax is impregnated in the polish. Maas or simichrome is similar to the standard Wenol ( canned). But those brands don't make an ultra soft (extra fine) category. Ron

russ austin

That wenol is amazing stuff.  I have brought back from the dead, complete bumpers.
R.Austin

76eldo

Joe,

Just plain old soap and water and put a coat of car wax on it.  Use micro fiber towels.
It's NEW chrome, no need to polish it.  Doing so will scratch it.  ALL polishes are abrasive to some degree.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Plus 1 on what Brian just said.

Any polish with abrasive in it (as most all polishes have) is not needed on new chrome.
The ultra fine scratches it leaves will eventually dull the finish and you will lose that
"new chrome look" you paid so much $$$ to get.

Windex and an microfiber towel will do the trick.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

joecaristo

Joe Caristo