News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 cadillac 6267D

Started by don berg, August 10, 2013, 07:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don berg

When I am driving at any speed there is a loud humming sound when I am going straight or turning to the left. But when I am turning to the right it seems to go away, could it be a wheel bearing going out on the passenger side?     Thanks Don Berg

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Don: Is this a new car to you or have you had it for sometime? Is this your restoration or someone`s before you? I say this because knowing what has been done or not done to the car, be it by you or someone else is sometimes helpful in trying to diagnosis a problem with one of these old cars, ie like are the wheel/axle bearings new or original to the car?

I think the first thing I would do is get someone to ride with you and as you drive. Let them wind the windows down and see if they can determine if the hum is foreword /back or left or right. If you still can not determine where the hum is coming from then I would put the car on jacks or a lift and make sure that you have nothing loose under the car like an exhaust pipe or muffler resting on the frame. Hand turn each wheel and listen/feel for anything not right. If you still can`t find the problem and you think it is a wheel bearing then you will need to pull each front hub and inspect each bearing and race.

Rear axle bearings are can sometimes be the problem especially if they are original to the car. Original axle bearings were made by New Departure and are sealed bearings. So if the bearings are original to the car, any grease still left in the axle bearings would be questionable. I always put on new axle bearings if I find the original axle bearings still on the car. I know of two car fires resulting from seized axle bearings.

I am sure you will get more inputs to your problem on this forum. Good luck and if you do find out what is causing the hum, please do a follow up posting with your answer.    Bill

don berg

Thanks Bill for the help. The car has been restored just 3 years ago with  new bearings with 150 miles since then. When the car is running and not moving there is not any noise just when I am moving. I will get an someone to ride with me and see where the noise is coming from as you said. Thanks again  Don