News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1981 eldorado dash-chrome plastic finish

Started by Tom Forsberg, August 10, 2013, 07:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Forsberg

I recently purchased a 1981 eldorado that has 47k and is in mint condition.   The interior is very close to flawless except the chrome coated trim which goes around the wood grain all around the speedometer, radio, mpg sentinel, climate control etc.   it's as if someone has used a cleaner on it that removed the chrome finish and left a yellowish color.   Has anyone had success in fixing this?  I tried model airplane paint on a small part but it was more silver than chrome.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!    Tom
1956 series 62 CoupeDeVille

76eldo

Your best bet is to try to find NOS or mint used parts.  I don't think there is any way to bring back a chrome look to that thin line of plastic plated chrome.  I just Googled this...

Eastwood advertises something that sprays from a can that is supposed to be "almost chrome".  With careful masking, you have nothing to lose:
http://www.eastwood.com/almost-chrome-aerosol-paint.html?srccode=ga220010&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=zzproduct_ads&adtype=pla&kw=&matchtype=&network=g&creativeid=15752127567&placement=&producttargetid=40408680567&gclid=CNC8n-iP9LgCFY6k4AodgGUA1Q
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Tom Forsberg

TJ Hopland

I may end up with an 81 soon.   Made an offer on one and just found out my offer on a Riviera was accepted so I may end up with 3 E bodies.   I really like the diesels, my 80's a diesel, the Riv is a diesel but the 81 is an 8-6-4.  I have done a little work on them in the past but this one will be the first I have owned.   The 8-6-4 part still works on it but its got some other engine issues.  I just want it because its weird.  4100's are not weird to the average person so I am less interested in those but will likely end up owing another one some day.  I will have to check and see if the chrome is good on any of them or the ones in my parts stash. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tom Forsberg

We seem to think alike.... Diesel is next on my list.  Once you get your 81 let me know if you want pictures of how to install a bypass switch for the 864.   Have one on mine with a switch under the dash....it's just nice as it is a bit jerky in 6 mode but smooth in 8 and 4..   Ironically I still average 19 mpg when in full 8 mode and with the car being lighter the 368 feels very close to a 425 in my opinion...I had a 76 with the fuel injection but sold it to free up room.   I purchased that for the same reason.... Unusual and everyone seemed to complain about it.   I hope you get the 81 eldorado...I enjoy this one way more than the 85 convertible I had with the 4100.... It's a night and day driving experience..  Stay in touch....tom