News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Headlight Switch Removal

Started by Coupe Deville, August 10, 2013, 10:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Does anyone know how to remove a headlight switch on a 1959 Cadillac Series 62? I need to rebuild mine and need to take it out. Any help and advice is appriciated.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

n2caddies

Disconnect your battery first. If you don't have AC  you should be able to contort yourself and reach from under dash and there is a button under the switch that you push while pulling the knob and the knob will come out. That exposes a Allen head nut on the assembly that you unscrew and the switch will push into the dash. With the extra play that gives you carefully wiggle the connector off as it is brittle and there you have it. If you have AC you will need to lift up the dash pad to get to it. That involves removing I believe 6 Philip head screws , the shift indicator  and lift ip the pad and prop it up , I use a rubber mallet on edge, and you can remove it from the top side.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Coupe Deville

Do i have to remove any wires for the autronic eye? I have lifted the dash pad up before and it always seemed to be snagged. Do i have to remove the dash pad to get the switch out or can i get it out by just propping the dash up. Thanks for the quick response.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

n2caddies

You should be able to lift up the pad enough to get the switch out as the switch isn't that tall. If the autronic eye cable is hanging up it can be unplugged from the amplifier behind the left side kick panel and pulled up a bit to give you more room.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX