News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 Sixty Special - Firing order

Started by joeceretti, August 11, 2013, 10:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

I've received some great advice on this forum and now am hoping someone can help me again. I am very appreciative.

I'm trying to reconcile the order of spark plug wires on my motor. Some conflicting information on the web.

I need the firing order and which cylinder is #1 and also which terminal on the distributor is #1.

Some posts say that cylinder 1 is on the left front... but then conflict as to whether the left is from the drivers seat or from the front of the car.

As far as I can understand. The distributor is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 if I can figure out which is 1.

then firing order 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2 Odd numbers left bank and even numbers right bank. (is the left the passenger side or the drivers side?)

Problem is mine isn't wired at all like this but runs.

An earlier post here is as follows...

----------------- Question
I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME ONE CONFIRMING TO ME THE  FIRING ORDER FOR V-8 LASALLE SERIE 50 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2- AND NUMBER |#1 BEEN ON THE LEFT FRONT SIDE ON ENGINE
SAME SIDE AS THE FUEL PUMP IS THIS CORECT ? ALSO IS THEIR A MARK ON THE DISTRIBUTOR THAT SAY WHERE IS #1 ? THANKS
-----------------
Firing order is correct.

If you look at the distributor number one is the first one to the left of the rear clip holding the cap on the distributor (viewed from the front of the engine).
---------------

This posting is for the 38 LaSalle which I am assuming is the same. Assumptions can be dangerous though...

Confused,

Joe Ceretti

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Joe: If you stand in FRONT of the car and look down on the engine, cylinder 2 is the first cylinder on the front LEFT side of the engine followed by 4, 6, and 8. Of course cylinder #1 is the first cylinder on the right front of the engine followed by 3 ,5, and 7. Look at the PDF below and it will show you the cap numbering for the wires from each cylinder. The other PDF shows the cylinder numbers using the front of the engine as the reference point.   Bill

Steve Passmore

Just to add to what Bill has said Joe, all literature and Cadillac books refer to looking down on the car from above facing forward, so in that situation number 1 cylinder is front left, If your stood in front the engine it would be on your right but the books never describe it that way.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Wayne Womble 12210

Its the cars left, not your left.  Put yourself in the position of the car and look out of its headlamps.

Most all normal V8s have the same 90 degree crank arrangements and the same piston configurations, thus, no matter what the assigned cylinder numbers are, the firing order is essentially the same. Two pistons are up at any one time and either one could be firing depending on the cam arrangement.   So if you start at number 1 left front it is the same as a Chevrolet 18436572.  Any one of the pairs can be switched if the cam is ground to operate the valves that way. Many early cars and many racing engines are switched up by flipping 4&7.  That is what is done with the early Cadillac engines, Then you get your 18736542.

joeceretti

THANK YOU! My car was running ok with the wires the way they were, or so I thought. Much better power and smoother with this CORRECT wiring! This all explains the occasional sputtering I was getting as well.

This is all VERY clear!!!! To show my appreciation I have made an all in one Diagram to help others. Anything else should be added or changed? I am sure this fits other years but I don't know which.

VERY APPRECIATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staying true to the spirit of this fine car,

Joe Ceretti

Edit: If the CLC needs any other diagrams or tables to clarify things like this, I can make them and even include the CLC logo or other identifying marks.

Bill Ingler #7799

Thanks Joe for a great diagram.     Bill