News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 Fleetwood Limo Project

Started by JokerLimo, August 11, 2013, 12:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JokerLimo

just Purchased a 1969 Fleetwood Limo
472 motor needs rebuild or replace? Is it cheaper to have someone rebuild or get a crate engine?
anyone know where i can get a shop manual for this ?

Scot Minesinger

The crate engine will suffer issues from hooking up accessories and the usual.  Plus the crate engine will be under warranty, but not to compensate you for removal and installation if there is a problem.  This is not difficult to remove the engine and deliver it to a re-builder.  Usually the heads are bad and the bottom of the engine is good. 

It took a day of taking my time to remove the engine and another day of taking time to install it.  Plus if you do it yourself there should not be any shortcuts.  The actual removal with engine crane and re-installation is easy with a good crane and oh so crucial engine leveler.  The engine crane and leveler is about $300, how affordable is that?  Plus the crane has other uses too.  The engine is equipped with lifting handles to attach your crane.  I think the rebuild will be less expensive and better.

Good luck,
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on your purchase, and also congratulations on the realisation that your first priority is to obtain a Workshop Manual.

These Manuals, as well as the Fisher Body Service Manuals are always coming up on Ebay, and my advice to you is to purchase the printed book version, and not the CD.

Plus, if I was going to replace the 472, I would have no hesitation in finding a 500, and simply changing over the necessary parts that are particular to your vehicle/chassis.

The best 500's are out of Eldorados from '69 to '72, with the '71 and 72 already built for Unleaded Petrol.

BUT, what is wrong with your own engine?   I would be rebuilding what I have, and then I would know in my own mind that it will last virtually forever.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon