News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1954 vert leans to the left

Started by mark22, August 12, 2013, 07:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark22

Hello to all,
     My vert has about a 1 inch lean to the driver's side. I have changed the entire front end including springs, shocks, bushings and shaft with no improvement. Any idea what could be causing this? I am not aware of any frame damage. Any ideas?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have a look at the rear suspension.   Make sure that this area hasn't sagged, as it will affect the front.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have been through this on another (non-Cadillac). It is a sure ticket to drive you crazy.

I have been told that the tires, left to right, need to match in brand, treadwear and inflation. The car then needs to go on a perfectly level surface, such as an alignment rack. The height needs to be measured, not from the body, but from corresponding parts of the frame, left to right. If these numbers are off, then you have a suspension or frame problem.

If the frame checks out level, you need to measure body height at the high point of the left and right wheel wells. Do not measure at the bumper because bumpers are  not always put on straight. If the frame is level and the body is not, you have a problem with the body mounts or the body itself.

Remember also that your fuel tank may not be centered right to left and that even a straight car will lean when a driver is sitting behind the wheel, depending on that person's weight. The same car will straighten up if someone sits in the passenger seat, depending on weight.

I have been told that some European cars, for this reason, have alignment specs that call for a weight behind the wheel to take the place of a driver. I also, think, but I am not completely sure, that misaligned wheels can cause a car to list slightly.

Height  can also vary due to friction in the suspension if you bounce the car up and down a few times. Remember that the deflection rate of springs is subject to manufacturing tolerances and may not be 100% equal from left to right.

One inch is not a lot of difference. I wonder how many of our cars were this far out when they were new or just a few years old. As I said, this is fertile ground for paranoia.

Good luck!

mark22

Alan,
   Thank you so much. I agree, this is opening up Pandora's box big time. I am so meticulous and it is driving me crazy. I am going to measure the height to the fram rails once I get the car on a lift tomorrow. I'll report the results...

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Mark,

I have sent you an email that requires your attention as soon as possible,

Thanks,

Bruce.
Forum Administrator
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me