News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Torque Converter Clutch Engagement Problem"

Started by Rick Biarritz, August 12, 2013, 09:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Hi, All:

Just checked the codes on my 83 Eldo with the 4.1 and I got Code 39, TCC Engagement Problem. What does this mean? What would be the symptoms of a TCC engagement problem? What do I need to do?

BTW, I only get 13 mpg with this car. Seems low to me. What are the likely causes? TCC engagement problem by any chance? It's been tuned up and had all scheduled maintenance, of course.

Thanks

Walter Youshock

It could be a faulty fourth gear switch.  Mine failed on the '82.  The car actually overheated and stalled the car.  It was like flipping a switch.  The car locked up and wouldn't coast.  13 mpg is atrocious for a 4100.  Does the car buck or feel MORE like it's hunting for gears than what's considered normal for a 4100?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Rick Biarritz

Drives like a dream. Every once in a while if I'm doing say 30 or more mph, and I've got my foot off the gas, and then I go to give it gas, it feels like it's slipping just a bit.

76eldo

Might sound stupid, but are you sure you are in the proper "Drive" position?

These cars have a tendency to have the bushings wear out on the gear selector shaft and when you put the car in "Drive" is might actually be in 3rd.

After driving on the highway in 3rd for more than a few miles, you will get a "Service" light with that code.  It's happened to me when my 85 Biarritz was my daily driver in the 90's.  That would also explain your low fuel mileage.  Just put it in D and count the shifts.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rick Biarritz

You're right about them bushings... I had them replaced at least a year ago.   :)

Thanks

Rick Biarritz

Could this "torque converter clutch engagement problem" cause the car to fail to go into overdrive at highway speeds? I just took my first highway spin in quite a while, and it sure felt like I wasn't going into overdrive.

Thanks

Dave Shepherd

Nice flow chart for that code on the FSM. if you have one, also can be found online.

Rick Biarritz

Hey, Dave:

What about what 49er says? Do I have to pull engine to get to the part?
What's the FSM? _____ service manual?

Thanks

Dave Shepherd

FSM, factory shop manual. Anyway if the tcc was stuck on the engine would stall when slowing down, 39 is set when the rpms that the ecm sees at a given speed and engine load should be lower if the tcc was engaged. The stop lite switch could be bad, the tps, the solenoid in the trans or connector is another area, so using the trouble tree in the manual would allow a tech to track down the source of the problem though a series of tests.