News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Convertible Ride Height

Started by fanbladeus, August 12, 2013, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanbladeus

I was checking in the FSM to determine the correct ride height.   I just replaced the shocks all the way around.   The rears are monroe air shocks.   For the time being I just have the T-valve balancing the two sides and is the port to fill them.   Per installation instructions, I filled to around 90 psi to test for leaks.    After all was well I dropped it down and everything seemed level.   The thing is everything is "level" but looks pretty high.   I put KYB shocks in the front.   

The method to measure ride height in the manual is to measure the bottom distance of the front shock.  This was about 8.5 which is just outside of the high end of the range published in the book (8 3/16 - 8 7/16).  It is still pretty close.   

The rear is measured from bottom of frame to top of axle.   Should be 4 13/16 to 5 9/16.   I was way out of the park at 7 3/4.     I'm thinking if I drop 2.5 inches by taking pressure out of the shocks, it will be too low in the back.    Is that how they have you measure it?  or are they just checking the spring height without the shocks being pumped up?   

The Tassie Devil(le)

From what I can gather, all these Eldorados had the ALC fitted, and the ride height is modulated by adjusting the ALC Valve over the rear axle.

In your case, I would be simply inflating the shock line so that the car sat level, front to rear.

The idea of the ALC was to maintain headlight aiming alignment no matter what was contained in the trunk at any given time.   Plus to offer a softer ride, as the springs on these cars were made slightly softer than if there wasn't the ALC.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fanbladeus

I'm kinda feeling like I should just lower the front slightly and let some air out of the rears until its level.   Just eyeball it so it looks right and then measure so its even.     Eventually I will get the ACL up and running (the bolt broke off where the valve assembly connects to the axle) and I suppose then it will sit "correctly".