News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stabilizing a 70's steering wheel inlay?

Started by TJ Hopland, August 13, 2013, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

My latest car has a decent wheel, just a few cracks.  The plastic inlay is shrunk in one area and has about a 1" section missing in that area.  Its still got the foil behind it, just the plastic with the wood is missing now.   I know from experience with other cars that most likely what will happen next is that edge near the missing section will get snagged on something and before long it will be a huge ugly mess with a lot of sharp edges.   I ended up cutting my hand on the wheel of my 73 last fall, that foil and the edges can be very sharp.   The current condition of the wheel matches the current condition of the rest of the car so I am not looking at replacing it or having it re done I just want to do something to keep it from getting worse.   Anyone know of any sort of sealer or glue that would work?   Or have you tried things and know they don't work?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Yes, I have a 1970 with same issue, tried all kinds of glues and sealers to no avail.  The only good solutions are restore the wheel at Gary's in PA (or another place) or install a high quality leather wrap.  I went with the steering wheel restore.  I know you do not want to spend $600, so the wrap is a good idea.  A high quality leather wrap kit is not expensive.  Auto parts stores sell covers which are junk, but only $10.

Good luck, and enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

http://www.wheelskinscover.com/?Click=24&gclid=CKPdh5Lb_7gCFQee4AodYm0Azg

You can also buy "Wheelskins" through USA Parts Supply  www.usapartssupply.com  but their selection of Wheelskin products is more limited.  USA Parts also sells a vinyl cover which isn't bad, for less.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

RyanBurman

If I would you I would do a home restore on the wheel. I've seen a quite a few good repairs done and then you just paint the wheel the color you want and you're good to go. I've seen everything from jb weld to epoxy and even bondo. Use something that can be sanded. Might not be 100% but it sure does look good and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than $600

mechanic80

I had WHEELSKINS make a custom diameter cover for my '77 Seville. (see the website)  I had added a foam padding which required a wider cover.  It took only an extra day and I received it within the week for about $20 including shipping if I recall correctly.   BTW the blue color couldn't be more spot on. 
mechanic80

Barry

Not cheap, but it you want it to look new and last, Gary does a beautiful job !  http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible