News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Difficulty getting transmission and driveshaft out of '60 Cadillac

Started by Matt Innocenzi, August 14, 2013, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Innocenzi

Hello all, I am replacing the front floors in my '60 Cadillac.  I need to work the metal a little around the transmission tunnel and the transmission is in the way.  The front end and engine are already out.  I didn't think it would be an ordeal getting the transmission out, but it has been (of course).

Engine is out, front and rear frame supports are out, and the transmission is being supported on a transmission jack.  The driveshaft is disconnected at the rear.  Now it gets fun.  The two bolts for the driveshaft center bearing are extremely difficult coming out.  I am afraid of snapping the bolts off, so they are soaking in penetrating oil. 

I also cannot get the driveshaft yoke out of the transmission.  Every other time I did this, it slipped right out.  This yoke simply will not budge. 

Finally, I cannot rotate the driveshaft regardless of which position the transmission lever is in.  The front torus of the transmission will spin, but nothing at the rear output shaft.

Questions:
1.  Should the center bearing bolts be this tough to get out?
2.  Any tips on getting the yoke out of the transmission?
3.  Does the gear ratio of the transmission prevent it the driveshaft from being rotated by hand?  I wheeled the car into the shop about a year ago but I never noticed if the driveshaft rotated or not. 

Thank you in advance,
Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

curly

You should be able to move the driveshaft in any position other than park.  Stupid question, but have you disconnected the shift lever at the trans and tried shifting it by hand?

T Lewis

Matt Innocenzi

Yes, all the linkage is disconnected.  I can move the gear sector lever on the transmission into any position freely, but the driveshaft will not rotate in any of them.

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

Time then for the bigger lever to remove the slip-yoke.

Now for the centre bearing bolts.   It looks like they must be rusted into the threads, and it is going to be virtually impossible to do anything about getting a thread "un-sealant" into the "nuts" and therefore, I would be suggesting you get a 6 sided socket, and simply winding on the bolt heads and snapping them off.

If once you remove the tailshaft, and the centre bearing is good, then you can simply drill out the broken bolt remains, and re-tap the area for the new bolts.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matt Innocenzi

Bruce,

I beat the ^&*#( out of this slip yoke and it won't budge.  I would literally roll the transmission on the jack to get a little momentum with the driveshaft still bolted at the center bearing for some momentum and it didn't budge.  I studied it and think the last resort is to remove the rear extension of the transmission so I can get the rest of the transmission out and then take out the rear housing with the driveshaft.  I can't think of any other way to get it out safely.

As for the center bolts, I am soaking them.  What I thought I would do is soak the threads, and then tighten them up, and then try loosening them again.  If that doesn't work, your suggestion is the only viable option.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

curly

Removing the extension housing won't help.  The slip yoke isconnected to the output shaft of the transmission and the Output shaft  has to come out the front of the trans.  The extension housing only has the rear seal, its not holding the drive shaft in.

I agree with the other suggestions, do what  you have to do to get the center bearing loose, including snapping the bolts off if you have too.
One question before you do that, will the center support fit through the front of the frame tunnel? I know it will fit in through the rear, but will it clear the front as well? Something to check.  Good luck.

T Lewis

T Lewis

Matt Innocenzi

T Lewis and Bruce,

Believe it or not, removing the rear housing worked.  The driveshaft is stuck to the rear seal of the transmission.  I never saw anything like it.  Once I got the rear housing off, I pulled the transmission forward and it came right out.  When I spin the torus, the output shaft spins as well, so it appears all the gears and guts are free.

I tried beating again on the rear housing and it will not budge free from the driveshaft.  I gave the center bearing bolts another couple squirts of penetrating oil.  My plan now is to get the driveshaft out, soak the yoke in penetrating oil and see if I can free it up from the rear main seal.

Its funny you see something new with these cars every day...

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Matt,

Sure sounds like the "slip" yoke is seized inside the extension housing bushing.

I don't think there is sufficient room in the front of the chassis "X" member to pull the centre bearing forwards, but when you undo the two retaining bolts, pull the whole lot as far forward as you can, to give you clearer access to the front universal Joint, then simply remove the universal joint from the yoke, then attack it with a press from the inside of the trans housing to push it out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon