News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Battery Confusion

Started by Dan LeBlanc, August 14, 2013, 09:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

I'm about ready to order a reproduction battery for my 61 Fleetwood.

I always thought the 61/62 cars took a group 27F - 12x6.75x9

I'm also coming across a group 60K - 13” L x 6 ½ W x 9”H

So, needless to say, I'm a bit confused now. Those of you running the group 27, how well is it fitting the tray? Is there room to go to the 60K in the length for a better fit?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Wilk

The std 27 is too wide for my 1959 Fleetwood.  I just ordered the class 60 from Antique Restoration Battery.  FYI.....they are backordered for about 2 weeks.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

I don't have the car home yet, otherwise I'd just measure. I'm just trying to get some authenticity items sorted and parts lined up sooner rather than later as she's going for her HPOF at Fall Hershey.
Dan LeBlanc

quadfins

Dan,

I concur with Steve. That is the type of battery that I have too, and the source. You saw it at Quincy. Expensive, but it has lasted many years, and given great service.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks guys. 

Steven, I know exactly what you mean about the battery tender.  When I worked for Exide, we used to sell a product called Redi-Pulse.  It maintained the charge (the model I have supports up to 12 batteries) and kept them in a usable state for up to 5 years.  The pulsing action of the charge would loosen sulfates from the plates and convert them back into acid. 

I'll keep my battery on the Redi-Pulse seeing as how I already have it and I can maintain my RV battery at the same time.

In some cases, it will also restore a battery with sulfated plates.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Jim.  I do recall your battery and it looked like it belonged there.

You know the car it's going in so I'm sure you agree that this battery will be worth it.

I'll fill everyone else in on the acquisition here shortly.
Dan LeBlanc

Jeff Wilk

Anyone else heard of the memory issue with the Antique Auto Battery reproductions?  When i ordered mine last week (60 series)she stated that these glass-mat batteries should NEVER be put on a battery tender as the memory will be changed permanently. She stated that a 10amp charger must only be used and only if the battery falls below a 50% charge.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

If it is indeed an AGM battery, it must be charged on an AGM charger. There is a valve inside be battery that regulates he flow of gases emitted when charging back into the electrolyte. If the battery is not charged at the controlled rate that an AGM charger can do, it will damage the valve and render the battery useless.

I thought I saw on a recent episode of My Classic Car that there is a battery tender now available for AGM batteries.

I just ordered mine through restorationbattery.com. They had a huge run on them before the GN and they had one left. If it was good it was shipping today if not I can expect to see it in 10 days.
Dan LeBlanc

Jason Edge

There was a similar post here a few weeks back.

The type 27 battery is a shorter and wider battery than the originals.  I bought my Type 60 battery from Restoration Battery back in June 2008 and it has been an excellent battery, with the dimensions within a fraction of an inch of the original specs.  I ran a type 27 in my 1964 CDV from 1996 to 2008 and will never go back as the curved top hold down bracket never fit right and of course there was a nice gap on the ends and you literally had to wedge it in due to width.

You can see pics of my Type 60 installed in this photo album: http://6364cadillac.ning.com/photo/albums/battery-and-battery-hold-down-pictures
(note there is a scan of the master parts book battery specs as the last photo in the album.)

and here is a link to the RB site listing the 1957 - 1964 Type 60 Battery:
http://www.restorationbattery.com/g60k.html

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks Jason.  I'm glad I ordered the Group 60 then.
Dan LeBlanc