News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

wiring fuses 1941 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, August 15, 2013, 08:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

im having the wiring in the engine done over. are their any fuses, fusable links,  or any other  things to be aware of and if so where are they . thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: If I remember correctly there are 3 main wiring harnesses in the 60 special. One harness is the headlight bucket harness, then comes the engine, dash and headlight harness which is connected to the body/ taillight harness. You will find some fuse holders in the engine dash harness. If you buy your replacement harness through one of the companies that make these replacement harnesses then the new harness will have all the fuse holders in the proper location as it originally came from the factory. If someone is planning to make the harness then the old harness will be their guide as to where the fuses or light sockets are placed in the new harness. Most all wiring and supplies are available for sale from the companies that build the new harness.

Regardless of who makes your harness be aware the engine/dash harness is joined to the body/ tail light harness under the left end of the dash by a mail/female connector pictured below. If you are NOT replacing the body tail light harness ( in a 60 special this body /tail  harness runs up the left pillar post, along the left bottom side of the top) then make sure whoever does your engine/dash harness  incorporates the old dash harness part of the plug in the new dash harness so the new harness can connect with the old body tail light harness. Unless you know and have experience building a wiring harness, then it is best to leave this to an established builder of car wiring harnesses.  Have fun  Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks bill.  I will copy your info. and give to the man                                          doingmy wiring. he specializes in auto wiring at a local shop here. john

mr41cadillac

I was thinking there might be some glass fuses or a fuse box but I guess there aren't on the 41

Richardonly

John,

There were NONE on my 1948 Fleetwood.  I searched everywhere, and then found out through the forum and mechanical guide, that this year Caddy did not have any.  There MAY be one or two in line, but never found them.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Paul Phillips

There is a thermal breaker in the light switch to protect some of the circuits.  Cadillac specifies in the service manual which items should be connected behind that breaker. There is also an unfused terminal on the light switch that is meant for other accessories that have their own fuses. Suggest you get a copy of the factory wiring diagram for your guy building the harness so he can have the right color codes for the wiring, as what is in the car may have been improperly changed by a previous owner.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Tlentz

Hi all, I know this is an old thread.  I put a bulb in the overhead dome light last night and had flickering, heard a clicking under dash and before I could get it back out blew what I now know is a fuseable link.  I assume that is what is hanging under the drivers side dash.  My question is, I rebuilt 3 of four door switches lastnight also using one as parts, so I had 3 on and one wire hanging without touching anything.  Woudn't the light stay off if I had all doors shut?  And with the info I gave, does  appear that I have a wire grounding out somewhere? 
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

gary griffin

Your dome light has power at all times, the wires to the fuses are going to be the ground when any door is opened. If you have light when the doors are closed and if the switch on the pillar is not on you are getting a ground to your light by some other shortcut.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Tlentz

Always power...the switches break the ground.  So since I rebuilt the " ground breakers"  I believe I am going to blame the ground breaker rebuilder!  Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Todd Lentz
1941 Cadillac 6319D
1964 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1950 Chevy Styline Special
5 Crazy Kids

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Just a reminder for anyone reading this about the grounding switches.  41 was the first year for grounding switches.  Before that the switches were hot.  The dome light was grounded all of the time and the hot lead was switched.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo