News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

This fool is asking YET ANOTHER question regarding his '62's brakes?

Started by Edward Kenny, August 15, 2013, 08:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

In manually adjusting the brakes, I've been told that the star wheels should be adjusted to the point where there is some brake shoe friction when the wheel is spun by hand. However, the Haynes Brake Manual states the the star wheels should be adjusted so that no brake shoe friction exists when the wheel is spun. Which is the better way to go; friction or no friction?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

wrench

I am sure there is a specific procedure, but I usually increase the drag until the wheel still turns but is resistant. Then i back off until i can just barely hear a scrape. Test drive, and adjust if necessary...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Dan LeBlanc

Keep in mind, 1962 also has self adjusting brakes.  Get it close, put the brakes on in reverse, should dial it in for you.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

waterzap

I have one of those brake adjustment tools. Think I paid $20 for it on ebay
so nice. Measure the drum, get the shoes close, almost touching, and thats that. They do need to be close for the adjusters to work.
Leesburg, AL