News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac LaSalle rear main oil seal for replacement

Started by smedlock, August 17, 2013, 10:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedlock

Hello folks,
   I think I am in need of replacing  the rear main oil seal in my flathead LaSalle engine. Oil is coming out of flywheel cover at quite a pace while running. Any suggestions as to where to buy the seal and how to install it? Also, who is best source for tech support for any issues for my 1937 LaSalle, and best source for repro or original parts.
       Thanks, Ted Farber

harry s

Ted, If your engine is the original engine and not a later one it doesn't have a rear seal. It has a slinger arrangement that captures the oil and redirects  it back to the pan. There is a tube attached to the rear main cap that may have clogged up if the leak just started or in a best case it may be a little over filled.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

LeRoy DeVol

I replaced the rear seal on my 47 Cad. & it was a very hard job. Following is what you have to do. First you remove the pan, remove the flywheel cover, you will need to turn the crank shaft to get the clearance to remove the pan, remove the rear main bearing, loosing the other 2 main bearing bolts, use a punch while turning the flywheel to expose the end of the seal. grab the seal with a pair of vise gripes or channel lock pliers & while turning the crankshaft pull out the old seal. Napa Auto Parts sells a tool to help you install the new seal for about $35.00. You can buy a seal from EGGE Machine CO. PH#1-800-866-3443 for about $28.00 plus shipping. So far the work has been easy. When buying the tool from Napa buy a can of silicone spray. Remove the bearing from the main bearing cap, take the seal & press into the cap to give it some shape, Following the instructions with the tool attach to the seal, push the wire on the tool over the crank shaft, position the seal & with a small screwdriver start the seal into the groove, spray the seal with silicone, you install the handle to the wire & while pulling make sure you turn the flywheel in the same direction as the seal. After pulling the seal about 1/4" use the screw driver to shape the seal to match the groove & continue to pull another 1/4", take your time & do this over & over until the seal go's around. Once the seal is in place install the bearing & seal in the cap, leave the cork seals off the cap, bolt the cap in place, tighten the other main bearing bolts, remove the rear cap & with a razor blade remove the excessive material so the cap will fit properly.
Install the cork seals allowing them to extend toward the block, use some high temp. silicone & put & small amount between
the ends of the seals, lubricate the cork seals with the silicone spray & reinstall the cap. After putting everything together let the engine set for overnight before running so the silicone can set up.

Lee DeVol