News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346c.i. Cadillac flathead Camshaft

Started by wicho46, August 21, 2013, 09:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wicho46

I'm tearing down my engine. I removed the timming chain and could rotate the camshaft with a socket atached to the nut.
My question is when I rotate the camshaft it moves inward 1/4 to 1/2 inch. (Backlash).  Is this normal or is something missing on the backside of the camshaft to prevent excesive backlash. Even with the plate infront of the camshaft that keeps it from coming out there is still alot of inward backlash. When the timing chain is installed would the timing chain prevent the camshaft from excesive play.
Thank You all for helping me out and keeping the flathead alive.
L Lopez

wicho46

Problem solved on this one.  Once the timing sprocket is bolted on to the camshaft it prevents it from moving inward and the thrust plate prevents it from moving outward. Simple fix but sure gave me a headache.
Thank You
L Lopez

pauldridge

Good job,

Always best to question these things before everything is put back together!  I scratched my head for a bit on the same issue during my recent rebuild!
Phil
Phil Auldridge
Austin, TX
1940 60S as well as MGA, Stingray, '39 Ford Coupe, BMW 3.0 CS, '59 Jaguar, '51 Hudson Hornet, '64 and '70 Mercedes roadsters, and Nash-Healey LeMans Coupe
[img]http://www.auldridge.org/images/hdricon.jpg[/img]