News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959/60 tri power distributor

Started by D59seville2012, August 22, 2013, 11:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D59seville2012

Does anyone knows besides the distributor cap ,if there is any difference between the distributor from a tri power and a 4 barrel carb?
Thanks in advance.
Denny Ferreira.

Quentin Hall

The distributor is different altogether. It is smaller in dia to allow for extra space for the triposer carbs and manifold.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jeff Wilk

Here is an additional question.  Does anyone know what is important about using a tripower distributor when you add a tripower to your car that was not made with one at the factory?  I know that on the Q engines with factory tripower the camshafts were also different. Ive also seen tripower added that worked fine with the std distributor
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

I thought they made it smaller to clear the rear carb...?

I have some tri-power parts if you need.  NO air cleaners though.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dave Shepherd

The advance curves are different, but the std dist will work just not as designed by Cadillac.

76eldo

The vacuum advance is different than a 4 barrel carb car too so that makes sense.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D59seville2012

Thank you guys for the replies , I guess I'll replace the distributor from on ex tri power car for a regular distributor.

gouldsom

Hi
I have a tri power car, and have both distributors here. I thought the only difference was that the lugs on the distributor caps, and base were "moved" around a bit on the tri power,so the distributor could be rotated around when adjusting. The tri power manifold finishes closer to the distributor, and the lugs would hit the manifold, when trying to adjust the advance and retard.
It may have internal differences, I am not an expert on that, but apart from the moved hold down lugs, I see no difference.
The tri power cap is exactly the same as the regular cap, its just the hold down lugs have been redesigned to clear the manifold.
This is my observation
Richard

Jeff Wilk

The distributor cap for a tripower distributor is different. The adjustment window is located completly differently. Two distinct part numbers in the Master Parts Catalog.  Shop Manual/literature also states that tripower cars are equipped with 3x2 carbs and manifold, a different camshaft, and special distributor and cap.

Tripower cars also have an additional vac reserve tank on the firewall mounted above the brake booster. They also have a different ignition coil bracket, throttle/trans linkage, and a unique fuel filter outlet brass "t" to accommodate the multiple steel fuel lines.

"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

Rear end ratio may also be different.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Back to the Original question: IS THE DISTRIBUTOR DIFFERENT? Yes it is.. Now-- to go a bit more, BOTH distributors are the same diameter.. NO you can not interchange caps---- WHY? Because the "location slot" is not the same between the two.  AND, YES you can use a single carb distributor with the 3X2 set, but the range of movement to set timing is limited.
AND Yes, many more small details, but this is the basic answer to the original question
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

Quentin Hall

Richard and Rod, You know that turning point in your life when senility starts to creep in the back door. . . Well I was positive that the tripower dizzy had a smaller dia. I still have several tripower nos caps at home so I will make it first call of duty to check for myself and then check myself in when I get home in a week or so.
        Perhaps it's just that recently I've been all consumed worrying about paying the mortgages, feeding and clothing the kids, trying to find a secure career . . . trying to please the wife. I've been slowly forgetting the important stuff. hehe.

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Quentin -- You have "several" tri-power caps??????  WOW--- I think there will be several guys pleading for caps!  hmmm, including me
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

David Greenburg

I would be interested in one as well if you've got a spare.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

gouldsom

Well said Rod, I think you have summed it up perfectly, you said everything I was trying to say.
I bought 2 nos caps many years ago, when they were a lot cheaper.
I have seen them on eBay for $500 dollars, in fact I think there is one listed now.
I also have two nos"Cadillac " rotors, I believe they were a bit more upmarket, than the Chevy ones, they have something different, to help with radio suppression.
Richard

76eldo

I'd  make a note of the Delco part number and the Standard part number and try with guys in Hemmings that sell ignition parts. I have some of these too but want to keep as spares for my car.
I paid in the $100-125 range for these bit have seen them on eBay for $300-500.

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Quentin Hall

I had one of those rare ebay wins a few years ago and got half a dozen for $35 for the lot if I recall. All unused in the boxes. I sold one or two , gave a away a couple, so I still have two or three . But I am planning on another 59 Biarritz project before I die so I will keep these spares for a rainy day. Q   
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz