News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillacs 1950 upto 1954

Started by Eagle Beach, August 24, 2013, 11:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagle Beach

Where can upholstery pre made kits be bought from? I have seen fords etc but never Cadillacs? can they be got and if so, Where ?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Generally, the reason you see Ford kits and not Cadillac is that there is no profit to be made on the three or four kits that you might sell for a Cadillac and the hundreds or even thousands you would sell for Fords.
I know we think there should be such kits available, but it is a matter of economics. That's why Lou Jenkins gets ten grand for his upholstery kits and the Chevy/Ford guys get under a hundred."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eagle Beach

Is it cheaper to get fabric from say sms and then get someone to make it?

R Sotardi #11719

Hi again. YES! I restored my '50 in 1994-5. Jenkins wanted $90 a yard for broadcloth vs a very similar polyester mix for $20, good enough for the judges . My local shop matched the piping, stitch patterns and leather trim with period correct headliner & carpet, from what was original on the car, for way less. No knock to Jenkins, they do fine work. But they are in NC, I'm in AZ, and we planned to do the interior piecemeal. so, the material was what we wanted not the service. The issue is what is available today. BTW, Ford (Model A) kits are in excess of $1500. Ron

Eagle Beach

Would Vinyl be a cheaper option ?

R Sotardi #11719

Sure, and it looks it! The issue is labor costs more then cost of the material. What is your intent for the car? If a driver quality vs authentic, that's your business.  I wish I could do a convertible. It costs only a small bit more to restore one vs my 4 door. But, the resale is 5xs more, Done right.

Eagle Beach

Yep best to spend that bit more and do
It correct. Corinth blue needs tan top and blue leather upholstery

Eagle Beach

What type of paint is best if i wish to paint steering wheel white ?
Is it a metal paint or special type of paint ?

R Sotardi #11719

Not laquer. I had a wheel painted in a  single stage urethane  on another car. But, the 50s were not painted, they would be recast if cracks  developed. However, recasting is big bucks vs painting.

Eagle Beach

Guess many guys end up painting it then

Eagle Beach

Is there any free downloads of the 1950 convertible wiring diagrams ?

Paul Tesone

Gary - go for the LEATHER . I just went thru this with my 37 & 47 convertibles . I removed vinyl interiors from both cars and replaced them with leather . As R.S. previously stated , the cost issues seem to relate more to labor than materials . Yes , the leather is more expensive , but probably not so much more as to be a deal breaker . As I recall , the hides I looked at were from $8.00 to $13.00 per square foot and each hide averaged 50 square feet . I never did price vinyl .You will probably need 3 or 4 hides depending on whether or not you do your door panels in leather . For both of my cars , I bought one more hide than I was told I needed - just as insurance , in case more was needed or a future repair proves necessary . If you order the same color in the future , the dye lot will probably never be the same .  Jenkins puts out a very good product and I'm sure he will have the correct pattern for your car . Again , not inexpensive - but you should get a kit that your local upholsterer can easily put in the car . Jenkins did my 47 ( sample photo attached ) . I wasn't particularly happy with the color choices he had available , so I bought my own leather and sent it to him to make up the kit . He was very accomodating and the project had a great outcome . My local upholsterers did my 37 because the pattern was far less complicated than the 47 , and the seats had to be rebuilt as well . Get some leather samples and see how they look against the paint . You'll be surprised at how many beautiful colors and grains are available .For my 37, I used Kaleen Leathers :ask for Ralph - (708-409-9800 ) - ralphs@kaleenleathers.com ..... For my 47 , I used Exotic Leather Co : ask for Marc -(260-330-0020 )- exotic_leathers@yahoo.com ... Both Ralph & Marc were EXTREMELY helpful . I also received samples from Townsend Leather : ask for Jillian- (518-762-2764 .. ext 168)- Jills@townsendleather.com . Although I didn't end up using her leather , she was also very helpful and send some beautiful samples . All three companies have web sites that show color and grain samples . Good luck . ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876

caddy_rick