News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

47 Caddy convertible paint

Started by VandalRon, August 26, 2013, 03:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VandalRon

I see a lot of pictures of 47 caddy convertibles painted a copper/orange color. It certainly isn't original but that color sure looks great on that car. How big a sacrilege is it to paint an all original car a non-original color. Will it hurt the car's value terribly?
How about if the car is original black and one were to paint it a non-original black, say with a bit of sparkle.
Opinion????

R Sotardi #11719

You will limit your market for a future sale. Paint is big time expensive and if the new buyer likes your personal choice the deal may fly. But, if authenticity is important he/she will probably walk away. IMO, always paint the car with what is on the data plate. Are you talking metallic black? Was that originally offered? Code on the data plate for black is 1. Ron

dino

It's your car you can paint it any color you like, just be prepared to keep it a long time, it tends to make the car harder to sell. IMO you should paint the car it's original color. I assume your doing a frame off if your considering a drastic color change such as copper/orange.. Make sure the painter covers every nook and cranny or it will look like a hack job. 
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

Bill Ingler #7799

Ron: The car is your car and you can do with it what you want but the previous 2 posters have said exactly what you will run into if you paint it a color not even close to what was offered in 1947. Value for resale goes way down. The 47 Cadillac 62 convert and 62 fast back coupe are getting as desirable to own as the 41 60s or the 41 convert. If you have an original 47 convert you have a very collectable car and my personal opinion is don`t degrade an original car, there are so few left.   Bill

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Even a non original color should be appropriate to the era and character of the car. Copper/orange is a terrible choice on every level.

There is fellow in the AACA that supposedly owns an early thirties Cadillac that belonged to Milton Hershey. He bought it at a fire sale price because the man who spent a fortune restoring it painted it some god-awful modern color that his wife picked out. He will have it for a long time to come, I guarantee.

It's your car. Do what you want.

VandalRon

Well, you've reinforced my long held opinion regarding these things but I thought I'd ask.
Some hold that color can be changed as long the new color is original for that model/year.
I've long thought even that to be a bit of a risk.
I don't plan on a frame off but my restorations, no matter my intent, always end up being frame off (or close to it).
::)
Thank you

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My car has been repainted, and the most thorough I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see if there is Cavern Green still under the door caps when I take them off to switch them (to get rid of the rust mice nibbles on the edges.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

R Sotardi #11719

Back some years ago when I obtained my 506219, I was the second owner but the first owner was deceased, therefore no one to ask about the paint. On the data plate the paint code was 8, and therefore Savoy Gray. But, the roof was white and Savoy Gray was never part of a two-tone combo. Hmm... Well, to be correct I repainted it totally Savoy Gray.  I later found out that Apache Motors in Tucson offered a white painted roof as a no cost, in order to cool the interior  area from the Arizona heat. When I removed the windshield trim, I found the Gray. There was a 506119 on Ebay a few months ago that was part of the late Tom Hubbard collection ( mostly Franklins) . It was also from Apache Motors with a white roof. Interesting. Hudson would do that as well except on the lower beltline to the rockers. Documentation can be important.

VandalRon

Interesting stuff y'all.

I'm curious: What collection in the western US houses a great example of an original 47 Cadillac 62 convertible. I'd like to take an exhaustive number of photos prior to my restoration.