News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Went to GoodGuys show, only found *one* Caddy flathead

Started by Andrew Pullin, August 27, 2013, 02:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Pullin

So, I just went to the GoodGuys show out in Pleasanton this past weekend. Throughout the whole show, I only found one Cadillac / LaSalle flathead engine, and in a fairly odd place too, in this dry-lake racer:

Really, it was a LaSalle 322 engine:

Of course, for completeness, for more info on the vehicle itself, the 1939 Lakester Meteor:
http://www.elegantcars.com/news/articles/2011-07-25-meteor.php

And it provided a good opportunity to grab some pictures for reference for my future reassembly.

(Although, there was a nice Cadillac right inside one of the gates with the hood closed, and I wasn't savvy enough to know the year and configuration from just the body style...)
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

Jim Stamper

It looks like two rear exit exhaust manifolds. The one on the left side being a right side front exit now doing duty as a left rear exit and the right side apparently a right side rear exit right at home where it is.

Jim Stamper  CLC#13470

gary griffin

The manifolds look like they may have came from a tank or other war time equipment such as a  self powered howitzer or a generator??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Andrew Pullin

Ah, right, that's a detail that I didn't pick up on at all.
So, I guess maybe it's not that great a reference for my reassembly.
(But, Gary, considering that I just read a post saying that you have a new 1940 Series 50, well, expect an email from me soliciting for some reference pictures.  :) )

I should have gotten a picture of the poster they had for the car, but as far as I recall, it just said that the engine was a "LaSalle V8 322 CID".
Seems like Jim is probably right about the doubling and flipping of the front-exit manifolds, considering the placement of the blocked-off crossover flange ... which is a pretty clever hack, on the part of the builder!

Also interesting was the carb, a Stromberg 97 I think? And to think how I fretted so about getting "the right" WDO.

Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

35-709

Lucky that you found ANY Cadillac flatheads at a Goodguys show, and even those are likely to be modified. What you find at Goodguys are mostly street rods powered by all manner of more modern V-8s and some Ford flathead V-8s, but rarely a Cadillac flathead. 
You need to go to an AACA show or one put on by a Cadillac chapter.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

harry s

The passenger side manifold is from a large series 1937 and as mentioned the drivers side seems to be a front exit that has been flipped. Pretty cool set up. The carb is a Stromberg AAV-25 with electric choke which is correct for 1937. I have 4 of the rear exit manifolds if anyone is interested.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum