News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Correct ohms of (points installed) coil

Started by 52Cadillac, August 29, 2013, 05:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

On way home from GN I replaced my coil with one from advanced auto. Now that I'm home I noticed the ballast resistor is cracked all way through. What is the correct looking replacement, and what ohm size resistor should I be looking for?
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

J. Gomez

Mike,

Since yours is a 12v system and if you have the standard ignition system any standard ballast resistor will do it, the MPL shows 1954-1958 use the same type. You can search for these at the auto part store web site although those will be generic, a Chevy place may have one that is real close to OEM look.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

Dave Shepherd

Not all 12v coils are the same, some have internal resistors so the external is not required, check that also, should be marked on the coil.

52Cadillac

Yes Dave. It said to use external resistor on coil. I have a pertronix coil with internal, and it says the resistance is 1.5 ohms. Somewhere I read another regular coil resistor was 3 ohms. Some under 1 ohm. My new or old coil doesn't say what's required.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org