News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Title Searches

Started by 66 Eldo, September 01, 2013, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66 Eldo

Has anyone done a title search in an effort to find a car from many years ago? Common sense says to check with the DMV but considering the DMV operates at a glacial pace maybe someone here knows of other resources or services that do this?

Thanks.
P.Katson
CLC 15496

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I've been through this exercise with trying to trace the title back on my '55 Eldo.

The problem is, that many states do not keep records that go back that far.  For example, I know that my car was delivered new to a dealership in the LA sales district.  Back about 20 years ago, I spoke with California DMV about it.  California destroys registration records after 20 years -- no microfilm,
no copies, nothing.  Perhaps it's changed since then but I doubt it.

That's just one example, but I think you'll find that trying to find info on a '66 will be all but impossible in most any state from their DMV records.

I won't even bore everyone here with all of the types of traces I put on my serial number and previous title, but came up empty in the end trying to document the original owner.  I wish you luck.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Glen

Most states will not tell you who owns a car.  They used to do that so that you could check the title of a car before you bought it.  But too many people used that to find the guy that cut them off on the freeway and extract revenge.  So they do not give any information out without a court order. 

I’m surprised Calif. keeps their records that long.   Must be they are required to in order aid police in cold cases. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

66 Eldo

Thanks.  The 66 I have is well documented as I got it from the original owner. Its a 68 and a 70 that I am trying to locate
(separate thread) They were both in my family.

The 68 was registered in MD and the 70 in VA. They were last seen in 1969 and 1977 respectively.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Ever since the relatively recent "privacy" laws have been enacted, such records have become jealously guarded - assuming they exist at all.

Even when you pay $50 for a "Cars Built" sheet from Allied Vaughan, they blank out the information of all the other cars on the sheet - including the key codes for your own car.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Walter Youshock

I had a title search done on my '57 when I got it 20 years ago.  Since the car was sold new in PA and always lived here, I had no problem getting a copy of the original title.  I have been told the DMV won't do that anymore because of the privacy laws. 

Since I bought the car through an estate, the nephew of the original owner had just had to relinquish the original title once he took ownership of the car, then a new title was issued.  Basically, his signature wasn't even dry on the original when I had the search done.  I got lucky.  And I now know the date the car was sold and the dealership who sold it which matches the Build Sheet delivery outlet.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

harry s

I had a similar experience with my '48 Cad. I bought it from a Virginia resident (I live in Va also) and when I titled the car they searched the record and as it turned out all previous owners including the original purchaser lived in Va. I was able to get copies of each transaction but that was a number of years ago and I would be certain they would not do that now. Although it never hurts to ask..      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum