News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

4gc carburetor float setting

Started by smokeytires, September 02, 2013, 06:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeytires

Hello need help with my neighbors 1956 Eldorado. I have overhauled the engine in it which turned out to be a 1958 year. Now working on the carburetor the # on top is 12010 which I assume is a 7012010 in which I bought a kit for. Everything was right except for the throttle body gasket which I ordered a new gasket for. The problem I have is I set it up for  the 1958 year and it kept flooding out. Finally set it for the 1956 year and it is much better it doesn't flood out the top of the carb but still loads up. The floats are set at 1 19/32" is the something I am missing as far as setting the floats. I'm not a carburetor guy but have done a few but none of these 4gc's. any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Dave Shepherd

Assuming the specs and your setting is correct, make sure the float tanks do not hit the side of the float bowl, and both legs of the float arms are even.

Warren Rauch #4286

In June 1957 ,the Cadillac Round Table Chart program was entitled " Against The Flood". The program dealt with several carb issues,but mostly flooding. First they had the servicemen check the fuel filter. Second, the needle and seat and three filters in the carb. Then the went into a very detailed checking of the floats. Both ends of each float are checked for height against a gauge (J-6628), float drop , side play ,etc. I can photo copy it ,if you give me  a snail mail address. Warren