News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Generator repair/restoration - sharing my results

Started by joeceretti, September 07, 2013, 02:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

Since I took ownership of my Sixty Special the generator has been spotty. Working at some times and not at others. This past Thursday the output stopped completely. Using the shop manual I determined that the trouble was with the generator. Undaunted, I pulled the generator off my spare fully working motor. Then I pulled the generator off of the car. Upon removing the dust/water protection band I was aghast to discover that the generator was just full of oil and crud.

I completely dismantled the generator, inspected everything and it looked like there was no problem other than oil everywhere. I used tool cleaner and then contact cleaner and proceeded to clean clean clean. I then reassembled, put some oil in the oil cups. Turned the generator by hand until I was satisfied that the oil I added was dispersed. I then let it sit for a few minutes for the solvent to flash off. During the waiting time I cleaned thoroughly in the engine V underneath the generator. What a mess!

Put everything back together and my ammeter shows charging. Put a meter on it and it charges at about 7.4 volts!

SUCCESS!

All I have left to do now is to put my spare generator back on my spare motor.

The question I have. Does anyone know what coating is used on the band to give it that golden look? Mine was part golden, part black, part greasy and part rust. I cleaned cleaned cleaned and sanded everything off. It's just silvery metal now and I am sure it will turn to rust in no time. Also, just semi gloss black paint for the generator?

Scot Minesinger

That golden look has got to be Cadmium plating "Gold Cad".  Eastwood sells a paint system to replicate it.  Also powder coating is available to match it too.  Easy to replicate to a close degree, as always surface prep is paramount.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Paul Tesone

Can anyone provide a specific powder coat manufacturer & color number for the  "gold cad" cadmium plating color mentioned by Scott ? Thanks, Paul Tesone CLC # 6876

joeceretti

Thank you! I'd love to have the specifics as well. All this work and I don't want to make a wrong move and have to redo it.

Bill Caddyshack