News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bouncing Spedometer Needle?

Started by Jeff Wilk, September 07, 2013, 11:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

What is the cause the cause of a bouncing speedometer needle in our '59?  It bounces wildly between 0-20mph then smooths out.  Same condition whether accelerating or slowing down.  Also makes a bit of a rubbing noise with a quite squeal while doing the bouncing.  Any cure here?  Thanks.

???
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

TJ Hopland

I don't know if you have cruise and if you do I don't know the design of the 59. 

On my 'new' 81 the needle would bounce like you describe.  I did not think much of it till I was working on trying to get the cruise to work.  Its got a little gear box on the fender the speedo cables run through.  I took the box apart trying to repair it (unsuccessfully) but after cleaning it and putting it back together the needle quit bouncing so it must have been something in that gearbox causing it. 

Again I know nothing about a 59 so it was just a guess. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Wilk

GREAT question.  Never thought of that as important, but YES the car does have Cruise and it is not working.

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly, a "bouncing needle" is caused by a couple of possibles.

(1)   The inner Speedo Cable is dry and requires lubrication.

(2)   There is a kink in the inner cable that requires either straightening, or replacement of cable.

(3)   There is a broken wire strand in the inner cable which is catching on the outer.

(4)   The outer cable is kinked, and requires straightening or replacement.

(5)   The Speedo head odometer gear shafts have dried out and require lubricating.

(6)   The Speedo centre magnetic drum has slipped on the needle shaft.

The Squealing noise could be from No. 1, 4, and 6, and if left for too long with No. 6, is not good.

As far as it only happening at the slower speeds leads me to think that the inner cable is dry-rubbing and as the car speeds up, centrifugal force smooths it out.

I had a speedo that had sat in a car, unused for many years, and when I put it in my car, it went okay for 20 Kilometres, and as the dried-up grease got hot, it started to cause friction on the odometer cross shaft, and proceeded to destroy the nylon teeth.  When it eventually wore sufficiently to skip a tooth, boy, the needle swung all over the place.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

On my '56 Sedan de Ville, the needle is stable up to 120 km/h (75mph). Over that seed, it takes about the whole scale...This is the alert for me that I have to slow down!
Yesterday, we went with that '56 car to our vacation house which is at about 600 km from where we are living. Therefore, to shorten the time on the road, I'm always tempted to drive rather fast for such a grandmother...
I'm wondering if a new cable would improve the situation?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

52Cadillac

Good post. Which leads me to ask is there a kit for rebuilding or repairing or speedo heads, and cables? In my case a 52. And who would sell the speedo gears? Seems to me that all the common gears, etc that will break could be assembled by those in the know.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't know of any rebuilding kits, as down here, there is nothing like that.

I rebuild my own, and most times it is just a matter of cleaning, re-lubrication, and resetting.   If anything is broken, then that is a problem.

We do have places down here that do make up Speedo Cables to order.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

n2caddies

Hi Jeff
I am installing the speedo cables on my 60 cruise today so I will be a bit more educated by days end but I have the cables here on my bench and pulled the inner ones out to find them dry but not kinked or unraveling. I put some multi purpose grease on a shop rag and pulled  them through for a nice coat and put them back into their outer cables. They spin by hand very nice now. Not sure about lubing anything at the cruise unit as I'm reluctant at this point to disassemble  as I'm not sure yet if it works and it has those star shaped fasteners on the housing. In the past I have cured the bouncing needle by pulling the cable out on a non cruise car and greasing it up in this manner. Had to loosen the dash pad and prop it up to make the access easier with AC and all. I'm sure the process is the same for the top cable. The one that goes to the tranny will probably have to come out from under the cruise unit.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

I'd start with lubing the cables. 

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Coupe Deville

My 59 speedometer once jumped from 30 to 100 and went crazy. I tighten the cable at the instoment cluster and the problem went away. I think I will be replacing the cable thou. What is the procedure?
Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Scot Minesinger

As per Brian, start with lubricating the speedometer cables.  That can work, but it never worked for me, but it is worth a try.  You will likely need to replace the speedometer cables(s) (plural if you have cruise).  Local places make up speedometer cables, you need to remove yours so the shop will know what type of connectors to use, or re-use yours.  USA Parts offers this service.  Plus USA Parts may have a set of speedo cables in stock.  The shop manual will explain how to remove and re-attach.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

I don't think it has anything to do with having cruise.  My '59 had this problem until I had the instrument cluster redone, and my '60 has this problem at times, and neither car has cruise.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

The next thing to check is the Driven gear that is in the side of the transmission.

Worn gear, slipping teeth will also cause the wavering.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only other thing that could cause a problem is the Speedo Drive Gear, which is on the transmission output shaft.   Not sure if this is ground into the shaft, or a plastic gear that is clipped into place.

Another way of testing is to grip the end of the cable (Inner) whilst it is in the outer, with the chuck of a battery drill, and operate the speedo as though the transmission was driving the car.

This way, you can speed up or slow down the speedo and observe whilst not crashing.

It means that someone has to be operating it under the car whilst it is on jack stands, whilst you have your head stuck up under the dash, or elsewhere, watching, listening, and feeling.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jeff Wilk

Thanks everyone. Some great tips. I will start this weekend with a visual inspection of all cables then make sure all connections are tight and move to lube next. The car was apart for 2 years with hanging cables that did get degreased and sprayed many times. No issues after starting it back up and driving for 50 miles or so. It was on the fourth or fifth drive at that point where the dancing needle started.

Southern New Jersey

SOLD
1958 Cadillac Sedan

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha............ sounds like the dried-up, and or contaminated lubrication.

When open to the garage/painting environment, you would be surprised just you these parts get messed up.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe