News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 rear license plate & side mount tire cover supports

Started by Paul Tesone, September 08, 2013, 05:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

What color should these pieces be - body color , black ( flat , semi gloss ) , other ? Photo of side mount may be confusing . What you are looking at is the insde ( body side ) of the tire cover  and the metal rods supporting it . Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876 .

harry s

Paul, I bought my '37 (75 series conv sed)_ from the original owners family. The car had one repaint in 1975 and the side mount cover supports were not used and stored in the trunk. They don't appear to have ever been painted and have a real patina. They are a semi gloss black. The license pieces are black also but have been painted.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Steve Passmore

I would think Harry is right on the money about the side mount straps, satin black seems right to me. My car never had any, guess a lot of them got stowed in the garage and lost. I made my own set from stainless and left them natural, no good for US judging but no problem here.
When I got my car it was  absolutely original,   it had never been painted, the insides of the sidemounts were rusty but did show small signs of the original satin black although the car was grey.  All the parts of the tire hold down brackets were also still black.  Parts like this even till present day just seem to get a light coat of satin black at the factory without even a primmer.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Tesone

Thank you Harry & Steve  - black it will be for the side mount cover retainers . Still thinking about the license plate holders . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

harvey b

Paul,here is how the rear plate mounts on my 37,cant get one much closer to yours then that?,it uses a "adjustable" license plate frame,it is a Cadillac accessory, it came from ebay still in the original box,the top bar has a little slot for the upright holder to slip into,the bottom tube just rests on the little crook piece?,i do not have the correct piece for the bottom,i do have it here,but I cant find it?it looks kind of flimsy,but it has been on there for 4 years and has not moved a bit.The plate frame is hard to get on,it is squeezing the plate all the way around,it also has a wing nut to hold the upright in place,it has a large flat head where it rests in the taillight piece. Good Luck with your car,it looks great. Harvey Bowness
Harvey Bowness

Paul Tesone

Thanks Harvey - I appreciate it ..... Paul Tesone CLC # 6876